The Seasonal Poetry Challenge.

3 Conversations

Don't groan at the back there when we say we want you to write about Christmas. We know that there is a danger of wallowing in cliches: Christmas trees, crackers and turkey. So, we want you to come up with something more original.

A home-made teddy in a Christmas box

Whilst food is a central aspect to the celebrations, what makes or mars Christmas for most people is not whether the turkey has been overcooked, but whether you like or loathe the people with whom you spend it. So we want you to choose a person, any person, and describe the gift you would give them. Describe an object, whether it's a walking stick, a teapot, or a decanter, and say why it's suitable for your annoying little sister, or your elderly aunt.

But do it in verse. Welcome to the Seasonal Poetry Challenge.

This could be serious; perhaps your aunt would really like that vase, because flowers are the passion of her life. Or you could opt for satire and imagine sending an empty piggy bank to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. (Though we don't want anything abusive or libellous).

Once you have completed your sonnet, haiku, ode, limerick or freeform rap, write it up in an A pages Entry. Then submit it via the 'submit for review' button in the top right corner to the Alternative Writing Workshop. And drop us a link in this thread here too to let us know where to come and admire it.

If you want to see an example of this sort of poem, look at Anniversary Present.

Minorvogonpoet.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87725613

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more