Create: Z Reads the Backlog

1 Conversation

Enjoying the reading challenge? Z takes the scientific approach. (Of course.)

'Z reads the Backlog'

A close-up on the pages of a book.

You see dear readers, I have a problem. Let me express the problem in equation form.

Let t=time, p = the number of books purchased, and r = the number of books read.

Therefore the number of books read per unit time should be expressed as r/t, and the number purchased p/t.

When I was young read a great deal and had little money, therefore r/t>p/t, so much greater than he had to borrow books from libraries on a regular basis. It was a regular problem to have read all the books in ones possession. The last time that happened was in 2002, when I purchased 'A portrait of an artist as a young man' by James Joyce. I never finished that book, because it got dull, and instead I brought another book. Since they p/t>r/t = which means we have a surplus of books: We have a backlog. Then matters got worse, when I married. Whereas in the past a wife would arrive with a chest of silks and heirlooms Ben arrived with a trousseau of interesting books. And then we got more, we would talk about a book, and buy it on Amazon, and it would arrive, we would browse a bookshop together and buy some more, presents consisted almost entirely of books. Then we got the kindle! Another device to buy books on, and so I did buy books, now when I thought about a book I could read it.

And then something odd happened, I stopped reading. I am not sure why. Perhaps because I was finally diagnosed with dyslexia, and I began to notice that whilst I read a lot, my understanding of what I read was not quite up to par, people in my bookgroup would pick up more from a book than I would. I began to listen to audio books, and discovered I understood more via audio than via paper. And also there was the little matter of saving h2g2 and doing a PhD. I also lost my ability to concentrate on one thing. I think the iPhone did that, every few minutes I stop to check twitter, h2g2 or my e mail.

I have a huge backlog of books. 123 to be precise. I have gathered them together in one space, and photographed them. So the create challenge has inspired me, the plan is to read a book a week and post a review. It will still take two years. Among that pile will be my new favourite author, facts that change the way I think, change the way I view the world and blow my mind. There will be some books I where I want to go and buy everything the author has written, and some that will bore me.

So, join me next week, when I should have finished the first of the backlog. I should have a good chance to read – I am about to fly to Australia next week, I check in on the 23rd and arrive on the 25th.

General Features Archive

Z

27.08.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87768472

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more