Spoils of War: How a Balky Horse Did Not Surrender

1 Conversation

The US Civil War went on and on, involved a lot of people, and had a horrendously high death toll (at least 600,000). Small wonder that people were still talking about it 20 years later. This anecdote shows how the soldiers found humour in even the most desperate situations. Oh, and it gives us the etymology of a cuss word.

How a Balky Horse Did Not Surrender

A campfire in the US Civil War.

Let me relate the glorious tradition of how a balky horse saved the life of Captain Bartlett. It was just before the capture of Memphis, and our boys were returning from a three-days' raid. We had come in sight of what we thought were two regiments of Federal infantry, and wheeled about to join them. But when we were within a few rods of the supposed Federals, we suddenly discovered that they were about two thousand 'Johnnies' in blue coats1.

Captain Bartlett had a very remarkable horse. He was a dark bay, bob-tail, straight neck, and short ears. This horse always held his head about twenty-nine degrees higher than the heads of his fellows, probably from his sense of pride. But with all his imperfections he was not blind. I have never known of a blind horse that was balky. Jehu that was his name had two good I's, one for intelligence, the other for indolence. However, he rarely used both at the same time. He would glance backward with the eye of intelligence to see what was going on in the rear, and then, all of a sudden, he could see nothing more except through the indolence eye. Yet withal, this noble animal was trustworthy; you could always trust him to eat a peck of oats and call for more; and he was equally reliable for standing still when there was too much weight on his back.

Upon discovering the true character of the blue-coated infantry, the cavalry wheeled again, and were off. Jehu stopped. He had become tired of horse society. He desired solitude. The captain whipped and spurred, all to no purpose. Then the Confederates opened fire, and it began to be uncomfortable for Jehu, though no damage was done. Then another volley came, and Jehu at once concluded to join the enemy. To carry out this determination, he turned his head to the left, stiffened his neck, and darted off in a 2:40 gait, side-wise, to the right. This brought him into the midst of the enemy, who yelled to the captain: 'Surrender! surrender ! You Yankee s o b !'

[This military term may need some explanation. It originated with the Confederates early in the war, and was an appellation given to all soldiers of the Union Army, from whatever point they hailed. In civil life it became shortened to 'Yankee sob' but here it is used in its strictest hostile sense.]

But no surrender for Jehu. The enemy's ranks parted and let him through, but the firing continued, and still was heard:

' Surrender! surrender! you Yankee s o b !'

' How in thunder can I surrender,' answered the captain, still borne through the ranks on the back of the horse. ' I will if you'll stop my horse.' Several shots were fired, but strange to say, Jehu made good his escape without a scratch to himself or the captain, amidst great applause.

From Campfire Chats of the Civil War, being the incident, adventure and wayside exploit of the bivouac and battle field, as related by members of the Grand army of the republic. Embracing the tragedy, romance, comedy, humor and pathos in the varied experience of army life, by Washington Davis, Chicago, 1884.

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.05.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1'Billy Yank' was supposed to be wearing blue, 'Johnny Reb' grey. However, it was a do-it-yourself war, particularly for the Rebs, who usually dyed their own 'uniforms'. The most common colour was something called 'butternut', but blue could happen. This could cause confusion in the field.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87853701

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more