Written in Black and Wight: G

0 Conversations

Welcome to the seventh entry in the quiz series dedicated to the Isle of Wight's dialect, preserved in publications including A Dictionary of Isle of Wight Dialect by WH Long (1886) and Isle of Wight Dialect by Jack Lavers (1988)1.

G

This week is words beginning with G. If you have a mobile phone you'll have heard of 3G and also even 4G. Put them together and you get this very quiz – issue 7G.

G is another letter that was often originally dropped, so words ending in 'ing' were pronounced 'en' instead. Last time we saw how 'Pudding' became 'Pudden' and 'Fitting' became 'Fitten'. Curiously more recently the accent has changed so that instead of being dropped at the end of words, the letter G is substituted by the letter 'K' so that words like 'something' and 'anything' become 'somethink' and 'anythink'.

Isle of Wight

Quick-Fire Round

This round has examples of words and phrases, but the correct meaning isn't next to the right word. Can You correctly identify the correct meanings of each of the words below?

WordDefinition
GaakTo be dressed in an unusual fashion.
Garbed-UpGreat
God A Mighty's CowA heavily-pregnant woman during her accouchement2.
GoggleTo stand and stare
GollopTo snatch
GrabbleTo swallow greedily
GristyShaking and wobbly
Groanen TimeForesight and common sense
GumpshunA ladybird
GurtSandy

Main Round

Isle of Wight

Identify which of the three meanings is the correct one for the words below:

Galluses

  • Large groups of stars, often spiral in nature.
  • Thick, hard skin found on knees during harvest time.
  • Braces.

Gallybagger

  • A scarecrow.
  • A woman fond of stargazing.
  • Local variant on 'Tallyho'.

Godzend

  • A legendary dinosaur-like monster that threatens to rise out of the sea and stomp over Ryde.
  • The ale brewed by the monks of Quarr Abbey.
  • A shipwreck

Glareworm

  • A glowworm
  • A rumour that causes everyone who hears it to stop what they are doing to stare at the gossip's focus.
  • You know when you see a bright light and then look away, but you still see a bit of the bright light for a few seconds even though you're not looking at it any more? Well, that.

Gimmer

  • Wife.
  • A cowardly technician on the Red Funnel ferry who, according to legend, can only be described as a smeg head.
  • Spending time with a man after midnight.

Grammer

  • Type of school which teaches you how to naughtily run through corn fields.
  • Grandmother
  • Old-fashioned hand-cranked record player.

Granfer

  • One thousand pounds.
  • 'Granfer Pony' is an ancient role-playing board game the aim of which is to steal people's pony carts and ride them through Newport, completing various missions along the way.
  • Grandfather

Grubber

  • Husband or family's main wage earner
  • Someone who catches mealworms to use as bait when fishing.
  • Workhouse.

Grisken

  • An unexpected chewy bit in a sausage that you're probably best off not knowing what it is.
  • A pork steak.
  • A dance move popular in the 1960s when people would be grisken the night away in Ryde's ballrooms.

Click on the picture for the answers!

Map of the Isle of Wight in words.A reader of the h2g2 Post
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

31.07.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Others include A Glossary of Isle of Wight Words by Major Henry Smith and Charles Roach Smith (1876), The Encyclopedia of Isle of Wight Words, Placenames, Legends, Books and Authors by Edward Turner (1900) and The English Dialect Dictionary ed. Joseph Wright (1906).2Heavily pregnant women (who could afford to) were expected to undergo a complete withdrawal from society in the latter stages of pregnancy until their baby was a few months old. Isolation and confinement in the home was believed to reduce the risks of childbirth and infant mortality.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87892258

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more