Bluebottle's Book Borrowing Blog

1 Conversation

Finding a copy of a book that is no longer being published can be tricky. Yes, you can get a copy from the British Library, but that isn't the same as having a copy of your very own. You can try looking online, but if a book had only ever been published locally to begin with there is sometimes no alternative but to do things the old-fashioned way of phoning up the local bookshops and asking if they have a copy.

Now I was after a book that is notoriously difficult to find. I'd been phoning bookshop after bookshop to no avail. The local library didn't stock it, the county library didn't stock it, Southampton Solent University's library, the uni I work at, didn't stock it – you just couldn't get a copy anywhere. So when I decided to go to the University of Southampton's Turner Sims concert hall to see a silent film ('Dawn' (1928), based on the story of Edith Cavell) I thought that as I was going to be in the area with time to kill, I might as well pop into the University of Southampton's library and ask if they had a copy. If any university in the country had a copy, then they should. They have all sorts of stuff in the collection, including Wellington's handwritten orders from the Battle of Waterloo.

So I went into the library's reception, walked up to the desk and asked, Do you have a copy of and gave the book title followed by who it was by. I had thought that this was a perfectly normal question to ask librarians, the sort of thing that they'd be asked everyday, but judging from the look I got in return I guess not. It wasn't as if I hadn't tried to see if they had an online catalogue, which they had, but it seemed to be a generic and useless university one1.

Perhaps they could see that I was carrying a copy of the book with me – to explain, I do own a copy of the heavily edited and revised early 1990s reprint, but not an original first edition which I believe to be substantially different. In any case, someone who looked quite managerial and surprisingly aggressive joined the receptionist and began glaring at me, which I felt was rather uncalled for. So I explained I was searching for a copy of the book and I also said I hoped to catalogue my quest to find it with photographs. I asked if it was possible that, even if the library didn't have a copy of the original, if I could take a photo of my own copy sat on the reception desk just to log that I had been here as part of my search. At that the manager grew very impatient and said that no photography was allowed inside the library of any sort, and feeling I had outstayed my welcome, I decided to leave. But not before I went to the library's café for some nammet. I enjoyed a sausage roll and cup of tea while reading a couple of chapters of my own copy of the book.

I then went outside and took the following photograph of my book outside the University of Southampton's library.

Fly Fishing by JR Hartley in front of the Hartley Library.A reader of the h2g2 Post
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

05.03.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1As I was accessing it from where I work during lunch, the system assumed I wanted to search my own university's library and kept diverting me away from the University of Southampton's collection to tell me that Southampton Solent University didn't have a copy. I know Southampton Solent University didn't have a copy, that's why I was trying to look up the University of Southampton's online catalogue!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87905514

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more