Post Quiz: Are We Insured for That?

1 Conversation

Are We Insured for That?

Insurance claims adjusters must have steady nerves – or strong prescriptions. They get some pretty weird claims. See if you can identify the real story here.

Multiple choice.

  1. A farmer in Devon, UK, put in a claim for a lost mobile. Where did he lose the item?
    • Inside one of 500 bales of hay.
    • In a posthole, somewhere on the perimeter of the farm.
    • Inside a cow.
    • He didn't: it was stolen by a badger.
  2. A police officer in Hawaii was awarded $39,000 in damages for what mishap?
    • Losing his car to lava flow.
    • Being beaned by a flung pineapple at a luau.
    • Being abducted by a killer whale.
    • Having a coconut fall on his head.
  3. 'It's Not Unusual'? What did singer Tom Jones insure with Lloyds' for $7m?
    • His voice.
    • His chest hair.
    • His piano.
    • His Grammy awards.
  4. Egon Ronay insured something for $393,000. What was it?
    • His tonsils: he's a professional yodeler.
    • His biceps: he's a professional arm wrestler.
    • His priceless collection of vintage jaw harps: he's a collector.
    • His taste buds: he's a professional food critic.
  5. An agency in Florida sells alien abduction insurance. What will they pay you, the insuree, if you can prove your claim of alien abduction?
    • $500,000 worth of tabloid interviews and TV appearances.
    • Cabfare home from Area 51.
    • A dollar a year until death, or for one million years.
    • 25 Alterian dollars a day for life, payable only offworld.
  6. What will Lloyds of London insure prospective parents against?
    • Having alien babies.
    • Defective childcare requisites.
    • The cost of IVF.
    • Twins.
  7. A British insurance company refused to pay a young woman's claim in Bristol when her mobile stopped working. What had happened to it?
    • It was damaged during a particularly raucous Heavy Metal concert when it was used as a backup instrument.
    • The woman was using the mobile as an 'adult toy'.
    • The woman had flung the mobile at a Tory politician during a demo.
    • The mobile had been swallowed by her pet alligator.
  8. A couple vacationing in Malaysia filed a successful claim on their insurance. What had happened to them?
    • They were arrested for violating the local 'anti-chewing gum' ordinance.
    • Their clothing was stolen by monkeys.
    • They were misinformed about the time difference by the travel agency, and missed their flight home.
    • Their luggage was sent to Antarctica by mistake.
  9. A homeowner in the southwestern US collected on his insurance when a saguaro cactus…
    • …failed to grow any taller in 10 years.
    • …was stolen by cactus rustlers.
    • …attracted bats, which took up residence in his garage.
    • …fell on his house, doing enormous damage.
  10. An insurance company in the US paid off when a car owner's vehicle was seriously damaged by head-butting goats. Why were the goats so hostile?
    • They had a personal grudge against the driver, who had fenced off their favourite pasture.
    • There was a female goat in the back seat.
    • The car boot contained several bushels of apples.
    • The car had been washed and waxed, and the goats mistook their reflections for rival goats.

Headscratcher? Click the picture for answers.

Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.04.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87907521

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more