Christmas in Crepuscular Meadows (III)

1 Conversation

Christmas in Crepuscular Meadows (III)

A Christmas tree bauble.

After Thanksgiving there was a nip in the air most mornings. A group of four carolers – all of them wearing masks – made the rounds, singing at nursing homes and in front of Town Hall and the Mallwart store. Once a week they sang in front of the shops at the town's only shopping plaza. This was not an upscale plaza – a Sandwich Heaven, a laundromat, and a Dollar emporium were the anchor stores – but the carolers were welcomed just the same. People even gave them money. Everyone had something to smile about, not bad in times of such worry.

Driving around town at night was a pleasure as residents put strings of colored lights along their hedges and on whatever evergreen trees they had.

The Town's annual Christmas tree lighting was held at Town Hall, but without spectators. Instead it was filmed, and broadcast to anyone who had the local access cable channel, or could get Youtube on their computer. Or, folks could just drive by Town Hall.

The local cafes had special Christmas menus, and most stores were well-decorated. Still, it was sad to see how much of the usual Christmas cheer was missing. Office Christmas parties were virtual. You could still go to one of the local bars and enjoy a Christmas drink – the employees wore santa suits and hats.

Most local churches had suspended live services, but parishioners still worked to buy and wrap presents for poor children. And, there were virtual services, complete with an organ and masked choirs. On the Sunday before Christmas, an eight-voice masked choir sang 'The
Messiah' in the Anything Goes Church, and this was filmed and broadcast live to people's computers.

And when Christmas Day came at last, people generally stopped worrying about what they were missing, but tried to enjoy what they had. And, surprisingly, this worked more often than not.

A resilient Merry Christmas to all those who read this. Christmas can be what you make of it. Always has been, and always will be.

Create Challenge Archive

Paulh

28.12.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88009275

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more