Peboan and Seegwum, a Tale of Hope

0 Conversations

Peboan and Seegwum, a Tale of Hope

Native American campfire

[Retelling of an Ojibwa tale. ]

Many years ago, an old man sat in his lodge. It was Winter. A frozen stream was nearby, and the man's fire was nearly out. Outside, snow was blown about by the wind.

The old man had been alone a long time. One day, a young warrior paid a call on him. He was full of the bloom of youth.

The old man welcomed him. He filled his pipe with tobacco, lit it from the embers of the dying fire, and offered it to the young man.

After they had smoked a while, the old man listed the things that he was famous for. 'When I blow my breath, the streams stand still. The water becomes like stone.'

Then it was the young warrior's turn to introduce himself: 'Whenever and wherever I breathe, the plain becomes full of flowers.'

It was the old man's turn again: 'I have but to shake my head, and snow falls. Leaves fall from the trees. Animals hide.'

'Yes, but when I shake my head, a warm rain falls on the earth,' the young warrior said.. 'Birds come back to the land, the streams flow, and blossoms spring up.'

Then the sun came up outside, and began climbing its trail through the sky. The old man fell asleep. When the sun's rays hit the stream next to the lodge, it softened into water and began to flow again. The fire in the lodge died, but this no longer mattered, for it was becoming warm outside. Robins came to sit on the lodge's poles.

The warrior turned to look at the old man, and suddenly he recognized who he was: Peboan the Winter-maker. For the young warrior was Seegwum, who brought Spring.

Peboan was he who banished hope for most of those who lived on the plains. Seegwum was he who brought hope back.

Create Challenge Archive

Paulh

18.01.21 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88011281

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more