Things You Don't Do Every Day: Riding Charles III

1 Conversation

Bluebottle commemorated the Coronation by riding on Charles III.

Riding Charles III

Coronation engineCoronation engine
Coronation engineCoronation engine

In the 1930s HCS Bullock designed and built 11 10¼" 4-6-2 miniature locomotives in Farnborough, Hampshire. The first four were numbered 1001-10041 and were followed by seven of an improved design, numbered 2005-2011. All of which were originally given patriotic names. He owned the Farnborough Miniature Railway which had a mile-long track. After his death, in 1938 five of Bullock's 4-6-2 engines were moved nearby to the Surrey Border & Camberley Railway, which on opening in 1938 was intended to be the most ambitious miniature railway ever conceived. At the outbreak of war, the railway closed and the company was placed in receivership and it never reopened.

To commemorate and celebrate the crowning of King Charles III, Eastleigh Lakeside Miniature Railway gathered together for the first time in over 50 years three 2000 class Bullock Pacific engines. Two are part of the railway's collection while the third, number 2011 and aptly named Coronation, was a visitor, allowing the miniature railway to run Coronation over the Coronation weekend2. As well as running Coronation, Edward VIII was rebranded as Charles III . 1000 class engine The Monarch was also in steam running a footplate experience. So the railway was running four royal-titled engines and for the first time since 1938/9 on the Surrey Borders & Camberley Railway three 2000 class Bullock Pacific's were run together as a triple-header (Charles III, Silver Jubilee and Coronation).

  • 1001 – 1932 - The Monarch
  • 2005 – 19353 - Silver Jubilee
  • 2006 – 19364 - Edward VIII - rebranded 2023 - Charles III
  • 2011 – 19385 - Coronation
A reader of the h2g2 Post

The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

22.05.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page

11002 The Empress and 1003 Western Queen (under restoration), both built in 1933, are also based at Eastleigh.2It appears that she has been based at the nearby Royal Victoria Railway, Netley, under the name 'The Great Bear' after a Great Western engine of that name, but she isn't used for passenger service as she is too big for the line and isn't listed as one of the Royal Victoria Railway's engines.3The year of King George V's Silver Jubilee.4The year of King Edward VIII's brief reign (20 January - 11 December)5The year of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth's coronation

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88028346

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more