Shade-Loving Plants of New England

1 Conversation

Shade-Loving Plants of New England

It's been a rainy summer here, with the result that the plants which crave lots of sun have become tall and somewhat top-heavy. The plants that like shade haven't been unhappy at all. The extra shade has been accompanied by extra rain, which has resulted in lots of seed formation that I don't often see. Here are pictures of four shade-garden plants in my yard.

The first photo is of Wood asters, which are white with golden centers. These can and do grow in deep shade, but in this photo they have a nice spot under my eaves, so they get plenty of rain. They have been blooming for more than a month, and are still at it.

Wood asters

The second photo is of Blue Cohosh. I wish I had used a flash, but you can still make out the two bunches of blue berries on the left. Blue Cohosh isn't particularly widespread in New England, and it doesn't get noticed much, but those blue berries are nice.

Blue cohosh

The third photo is Jack-in-the-pulpit. What's nice about this photo is the red berries that form after the pulpit has run its course.

Jack-in-the-pulpit

The last photo is Solomon's Seal. There's a star-shaped flower at the end of one of the long stalks. This particular plant used to grow on my father's land, and I transplanted it here. Later in the season, some reddish berries formed where the flowers are.

Solomons seal
Create Challenge Archive

Paulh

16.10.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88038101

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more