Christmas Crossword 2023

0 Conversations

What the Dickens? It can only be the annual

Christmas Crossword 2023

Post 2023 Christmas Crossword by Bluebottle. Good luck!

Across

  • 1.) In 2022 Mariah Carey tried to trademark this self-appointed title leading to a legal dispute with Elizabeth Chan and Darlene Love. (5,2,9)
  • 12.) Christmas time it's hard but when you're having fun. (2)
  • 14.) Invisible, also Discworld university in Hogfather. (6)
  • 16.) What I'll be for Christmas (if only in my dreams). (4)
  • 18.) Hot beverage perfect for cold, winter days. (3)
  • 19.) Bedford Falls' petite piano-playing person with petals.(4)
  • 20.) Period beginning four Sundays before Christmas marked with opening doors in December.(5)
  • 22.) Kitchen appliance used to cook turkey etc for Christmas dinner. (4)
  • 23.) Type of tree used as a Christmas Tree. (3)
  • 25.) Scratchy, husky, rough voice that people with colds speak with. (4)
  • 27.) German Christmas gingerbread biscuits.(7)
  • 28.) Continent purportedly devoid of snow, growth, rain, rivers and possibly Christmas knowledge. (6)
  • 30.) Singer living on a prayer whose first released song was 'R2-D2 We Wish You a Merry Christmas'. (3,3,4)
  • 34.) Comic book adaptation whose 1982 musical film changed the setting from Christmas to July because of the shooting schedule.(5)
  • 36.) Colourful noose given to men at Christmas, no-one knows why. (3)
  • 37.) 'Twas this before Christmas when all through the house. (5)
  • 38.) Where Father Christmas' sleigh goes into in Arthur Christmas.(5)
  • 39.) Of all the trees that are in the wood this name bears the crown. (5)
  • 40.) Originally a pagan winter festival, now a Christmas log and tide. (4)
  • 41.) The angel of the Lord came down and shone around. (5)
  • 42.) Dr Seuss' green and hairy Christmas-stealing character. (6)
  • 44.) Mary's little one carried her to Bethlehem. (3)
  • 46.) A nutcracker is a painted wooden one. (7)
  • 50.) Yearly hardcover book given at Christmas. (6)
  • 51.) Water-based therapy with vouchers given as Christmas gifts. (3)
  • 52.) What a good child will get for Christmas.(3)
  • 54.) Alien race conquered by Santa Claus in 1964's worst film ever. (8)
  • 56.) Flying tortoise found as doved pairs.(6)
  • 58.) Silent night, Holy night of God, love's pure light.(3)
  • 59.) What the seven swans have done.(4)
  • 61.) And so this is Christmas I you have fun the near and the dear one the old and the young. (4)
  • 62.) Frost nipping at your nose.(4)
  • 63.) When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from this to see what was the matter. See him lying on one of straw. (3)
  • 64.) Bird pictured on Christmas cards; a round one is a type of letter.(5)
  • 66.) Harry Belafonte's 1957 Christmas #1 was 'Mary's Child'. (3)
  • 67.) Invasive Yellow Crazy animal responsible for biodiversity disaster on Christmas Island. Abbreviated December's partner. (3)
  • 68.) According to folklore, what an unwanted illegitimate child born on Christmas Day is cursed to become for its blasphemy. Harsh! (8)
  • 69.) Little girl Who wants to meet Santa but has her tree stolen by the Grinch. (5,3)
  • 70.) Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of a girl who snuffs it on New Year's Eve (not phossy jaw). The 1987 musical adaptation gave the world Christmas classic 'Mistletoe and Wine' (3,6,5,4)

Down

  • 1.) Magic melting Mackintosh moment named after a play by Peter Pan playwright JM Barrie. (7,6)
  • 2.) Presents are kept the Christmas tree and people kiss mistletoe. (5)
  • 3.) Initials of the main character in A Christmas Carol. (2)
  • 4.) The First Day of Christmas my true love gave to me. (2)
  • 5.) Bombed city the shunned are sent to famous for its aircraft hangar cathedral, naked woman and carol about slaughtered infants. (8)
  • 6.) In film, Scrooge is portrayed as making his fortune by collecting this (4)
  • 7.) Greg Lake believed Father Christmas (2).
  • 8.) Father Christmas is also called Nicholas. (2)
  • 9.) Rein ring found with harnessed reindeer or on one horse open sleighs.(6)
  • 10.) Singer twice Christmas #2 with 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' who has made an animated film of the same name. (7,5)
  • 11.) The name of both Death�s granddaughter in Hogfather and Lucy�s sister in The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. (5)
  • 12.) In 1955 Dickie Valentine was Christmas #1 with 'Christmas Alphabet'. The alphabet is also known as. (2)
  • 13.) Poultry often eaten at Christmas. (6)
  • 15.) High-pitched screaming noise, such as made with excitement. (3)
  • 16.) Father Christmas's favourite expression.(2,2,2)
  • 17.) Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace and good will toward (3).
  • 19.) Isaac Watts wrote 'Joy to the World' - nickname for Isaac.(3)
  • 21.) What Maria was before she was a governess in The Sound of Music. (3)
  • 23.) Short for 'favourite'. We are often given favourite things at Christmas.(3)
  • 24.) John Lennon sang 'War is over you want it. War is over now'. (2)
  • 26.) Murderer whose A Christmas Gift For You From, released the day of Kennedy's assassination, is considered the best Christmas album ever by Rolling Stone magazine. (4,7)
  • 30.) And a little round belly that shook when he laughed like a bowlful of (5)
  • 31.) Number of partridges found in pear trees.(3)
  • 32.) O tidings of comfort and to the world. Repeat the sounding. (3)
  • 33.) The playing of the merry, sweet singing in the choir.(5)
  • 35.) The amount of room in the inn. (2)
  • 41.) In A Christmas Carol the Ghost of Christmas Present is a jolly ? (5)
  • 43.) Elton John's #24 hit in 1973 was 'Step Christmas' (4)
  • 44.) The Lion in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. (5)
  • 45.) Amount of toys Father Christmas carries.(7)
  • 47.) 1971's Christmas #1 was about this fastest milkman in the west, and ? Wise entertained audiences with Eric Morecambe.
  • 48.) Initials of the definitive magazine to highlight ahead of Christmas. (2)
  • 49.) Decorated ball hung on a Christmas tree. (6)
  • 53.) And ass before him bow. (2)
  • 54.) Railway found circling beneath a Christmas tree. (5)
  • 55.) Noise made indicating the need for a Silent Night. (2)
  • 57.) It came a midnight clear. (4)
  • 58.) A needle pulling thread. (3)
  • 60.) Warm natural material perfect for scarves and jumpers.(4)
  • 62.) Indigenous non-migratory member of the rook family.(3)
  • 63.) Humbug exclaimed at Christmas. (3)
  • 65.) ? I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb.(2)
  • 66.) Something small, something bitten or part of reins that controls a horse's mouth on a one-horse open sleigh.(3)

The crossword is intended to be fairly easy and assumes rudimentary knowledge of the Christmas story, popular Christmas songs, carols, films (including fantasy and musicals), and general winter. If the question makes no sense, it may be a title or lyric with a missing word. Please note: all songs and Christmas chart positions are based on Britain's national chart.

Answers next week!

A reader of the h2g2 Post
Competitions and Quizzes Archive
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

25.12.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041567

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more