Norton In Australia

0 Conversations

I think the first thing that people wonder is why did he do it, but then people often say I wish I had done something like that.

The Second Tour Begins

It was now five years since I had left Perth and the wheel some tools and spares were sent by air unaccompanied baggage a few days before my departure, the bike having been sent by container ship in December 1981.

It was now 13th January 1982 and I flew out from Norwich via Amsterdam which was good, for if I had left from Heathrow I would have been in a muddle as there was a total rail strike on at the time.

I arrived in Sydney without too many other problems, though when I got to customs I was delayed as my old residents visa had not been cancelled so this had to be checked and cleared before I could enter Australia.

As might have been expected the bike got held up at sea and various strikes and anything else that could have stopped it did so. It was Monday 25th January when all the tools and wheel turned up, but I had to wait one more month until 26th February for the bike to arrive. In the end I picked it up using a hired Dihatsu 2 ton flatbed.

The Norton had only just over 21000 miles recorded when it arrived, though there were some miles not recorded as the speedo drive had broken in the UK. The next day I fitted the wheel and it went in and was all correct, everything OK.

It was now the 2nd March and I had the bike checked and registered - the plate was UU 946. Two days later I got the local dealers to fit the plates for me.

Sydney Harbour Bridge

I gave myself a couple of days to sort myself out and get the bike ready for the off. This time I wanted to go the other way and went south, down to Victoria. I had spent quite a few months organizing this trip and all the delays had taken the enthusiasm out of it. I thought to myself 'this is going to become a chore'.

I spent a couple of days riding the bike and it took a little time to settle in as it had not done any distance, only testing sessions. As time went on riding became easier and I got over my thought of the trip being a problem.

The Rains Fell

My first main stop was over the Victoria Border at Cann River. I started to pitch the tent and the rains fell, so I decided there was no point in getting drenched and I booked into a Motel. I dried the tent out in the room before packing it again - not really much of a start!

I set off fairly early the next day and as the day went on I found the Victoria truck drivers very friendly to bikes - nearly all gave a wave. I rode down to Melbourne and it started to rain again, but the riding was OK and I ended up that evening in Colac, south west of Melbourne. I remember I was quite tired at this time - I had something to eat - it was dark and I crashed in the tent. I had no idea what the time was as I never wear a watch, not even to this day. I do not like time as it makes you think you have to do things at certain times and I do not like that way of thinking.

When it was light I got up. The local birds were up so I rose with them and set off. It must have been fairly early as I had done 200 miles before it started to get warm... I thought the bike had settled in OK and was running quite well- it was like its owner - it works better in a warm climate!

Into Victoria

The Norton In Australia Archive

NVQAssessor

13.07.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A13087244

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more