The h2g2 Post 13.07.06

0 Conversations


Posted: 13th July 2006


 

 


Sometimes I despair

As an aging hippy who actually remembers some parts of the 60s and the feeling that, with a little love and understanding, all problems can be solved, the current state of the world in general seems to indicate that we are descending into chaos rather than finding solutions. Most people in the UK remembered the events of July 7th 2005 with sadness last Friday. Barely a week later many members of the same communities, not to mention others around the world, were horrified to hear and see the aftermath of yet more bomb attacks - this time on innocent train commuters in India. Violence, once again, dominates the Middle East with threats of war and retribution. There is barely a corner of this beautiful globe which can say it has no religious or racial intolerance, no bigotry, no bloodshed.

Even the world of sport doesn't escape. The World Cup saw many scenes of antagonism between the opposing teams. A record number of red and yellow cards were given out, some justified, some maybe not. What happened to the idea of 'being a good sport'? Perhaps if every team member was 'wired for sound' they would think twice about muttering veiled threats and insulting their counterparts' families, colour, country or religion. Just what kind of example do they think this behaviour gives to the countless numbers of children tuned in to watch 'the beautiful game'? A careless wink here and a loss of temper there just ruined it all for me. At least Wimbledon was a pleasure this year... and the run-up to Sport Relief this weekend has produced a great series with Only Fools On Horses showing that competitors can actually get along.

Now on to The Post this week. We are pleased to bring you reports from the big events of the year; The h2g2 Summer Meet and the Presidential Meet. Separated by an ocean they both expressed what a strong bond h2g2ers form with each other. As there is only one more Post before we take a break through August we have highlighted some of the newer clubs which have emerged in the last few months. Check them out in the Announcements section.

Finally, for the musicians amongst you, you may like to check out The World Peace Philharmonic Orchestra announcement which appeared on a thread from our previous edition.


Shazz PRME(emeritus)


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 


 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11040076

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more