Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

1 Conversation

The Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World logo

A quirky look at wildlife. To be taken with a pinch of salt, but with more than a grain of truth!

Uninvited House Guests

Asked about wildlife, most people would cite tigers, gorillas, elephants and such, or (perhaps closer to home) foxes, badgers, squirrels and birds. However, there are much smaller species very much closer to home — some known to us, some not, but wildlife just the same. Some are welcome, and again, some are not.

Many people are truly frightened of the most familiar house-guest, the spider, which is a pity because they should welcome it with open arms. It demolishes many other species secreted away in nooks and crannies, unbeknown to the neatest housewife. I have a friend who has employed just about every device on the market to rid herself of creepie-crawlies, but I would wager anything that there are still a few around.

What started this train of thought was the appearance of a small tortoiseshell butterfly in our living room the other day. The dreadful weather has meant that there have not been many about, so it was a joy to see it. I wanted it to go out in the fresh air, and eventually persuaded it to do so.

Our house and garden appear to have become known as a wildlife haven, as I have seen many small visitors over the years. Wasps appear regularly, at one time coming out of the brickwork and a couple of years ago nesting in the eaves. For some years we were plagued by ants in vast numbers, but they eventually moved on. We live on what is virtually an anthill, which kept the local hardware shop in funds for many years during the summer months.

I have been plagued with house moths — brought in, I think, on a carpet sweeper belonging to my late aunt. What I thought would be a useful piece of equipment has proved a real pain. A wool-spinning friend advised me to collect conkers1 in autumn and put them where the pests appear, as they don't like the smell, and it seems to have worked as there are far fewer moths this year.

In the course of researching this article I realised what had fed 'my' moths for so long. They have an odd ability to digest keratin. Keratin is found in woollens, furs, hair, our fingernails and rhino horn, among other things. Now, obviously I don't have a rhinoceros in residence, but I do have carpet made of horsehair! They have a liking for other substances found in the home, too — far too many to mention here.

In the past the odd mouse has appeared from under the fuel burner and given me a fright, an occasional bumblebee visits and I have even had the odd slug climb the cold water pipe into the kitchen. These I do not like, but at least I know where they have been, as they kindly leave a silver trail glittering in the sunlight. I would love to know how they always manage to disappear from sight before I get up in the morning! I heard recently that taking them outside doesn't work, as they are homing critters and will come straight back in. Certainly one appeared to do so. They have to be taken a long way off or disposed of properly. Not nice.

Silverfish have appeared occasionally, apparently liking damp areas, but our kitchen has a stone and quarry tile floor, like many older properties, so it is no surprise. They were certainly prevalent in older inner-city houses in the past.

In spring cockchafers, known as 'May bugs', can be seen. Summer nights with windows open and lights on will bring in numerous 'bob owlers', as they were called in Birmingham. These were the large moths attracted to the lights, and which seem to send some people in to hysterics. Such a shame, as they are often the most attractive and interesting of creatures.

During the autumn craneflies, or 'daddy longlegs', as they are better known, flap around the curtains, and earwigs can be spotted, often brought in on flowers from the garden. Ladybirds of all sizes congregate on my bathroom windowsill to sun themselves. Centipedes, gnats, hoverflies, lacewings, woodlice and various beetles can also appear and are mostly harmless.

One of the more worrying ones is woodworm, which I first encountered in our house in Evesham many years ago, only to find timber all around the area infected. I have not had the pleasure of meeting cockroaches, thank goodness, but I am assured that the cleanest of homes is likely to have dust mites. These are of great concern to asthma and allergy sufferers and are best dealt with professionally if a serious infestation occurs.

It goes without saying that flies are not welcome, which is a good enough reason to welcome spiders in to your home. I once read a small item on flies, which I will not reproduce here — and believe me, if you did read it you would never, ever leave food uncovered again, even for a second.

Some readers will say this or that insect hasn't been mentioned, but I uncovered one bit of information which might explain why I have restricted this article to the more common species: apparently, there are some 20,000 species of bugs that can be found in UK homes. I wonder who counted them? It also appears that they are on the increase courtesy of the milder weather, their increased resistance to pesticides and, of course, our increased reluctance to use such products. There are also likely to be new insects hitherto unknown in this country which will survive in the warmer conditions. So you see, wildlife comes in all shapes and sizes, all with a job to do, and a place in the scheme of things unbeknown to us mere mortals.

From this you may conclude that housework is not my priority, but the visitors are more likely here because our house is open to the elements as much as possible all year round, doors and windows being open all the time, weather permitting.

Oh well, having thoroughly unsettled those of you who have no love of insects, and even a few of those who tolerate them, I am going to email this in and get myself off to bed.... Don't let the bed bugs bite!

Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World Archive

Websailor

26.07.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Conkers, for the uninitiated, are the seeds of the horse chestnut tree.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A25167972

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more