Those Who Came Before

0 Conversations

Chapter Two


A few weeks later, after a trip to Woodstock, Martha was hanging the clothes she had borrowed back on the rail and thought she may as well carry on tidying up. There were more men's clothes than women's but that was only to be expected. He was a man after all and a bit of a clothes horse by the looks of things which she thought was odd because he mainly wore the brown suit, sometimes he wore a blue one, when the brown one was in the wash she supposed. It was going to take her several days to clear all this lot up. Martha looked at the pile of clothes and wondered where to start, it wasn't as easy to sort the men's clothes by decade as it was the women's so she decided to sort them into jacket, shirt, trousers, jumpers and others. She started by picking up a striped jacket, she stared at it and wondered if Richard Whitely had been on the Tardis.

'Who the hell wore this?' she asked as she put it on a hanger. The Tardis gave her a picture of a dark haired man with a wry smile. 'Who is he?' Ian Chesterton was the reply, he had taught science at Susan's school and went on to become Barbara's boyfriend. Martha hoped that Barbara helped him change his taste in clothes; she saw a flash of tartan in the pile and pulled it out


'A kilt?' she said to the Tardis and wondered briefly if she could get the Doctor drunk enough to try it on. The Tardis showed her a picture of a grubby, unkempt young man dressed in shirt and kilt, he had a wild look in his eye and a determined look on his face. Jamie McCrimmon was the name the Tardis provided, a young warrior from the Battle of Culloden. Martha grimaced, she didn't pay much attention in history but she remembered this being a very bloody battle; she hung up the kilt and draped the bits that went with it over the rail, she picked up a brown and yellow striped jumper and winced. A picture of a dashing young man entered her mind, the heroic type.


'Steven Taylor, he sounds like a Blue Peter presenter', said Martha with a laugh. She picked up a jacket and some trousers that belonged to an RAF uniform and she could have sworn the Tardis giggled 'come on, who owned these?' She gasped as she saw a handsome, dark haired man with a cocky grin on his face holding a glass of champagne; 'a name, I need a name' she pleaded. Jack Harkness was the one provided, 'Handsome Jack' she thought.


'Oh I like that, very, very nice indeed' she murmured. The Tardis agreed with her and promised she'd find a picture in her room later, Martha bent over and picked up another uniform, this time it was a sailor's uniform and she wondered if the Doctor had a thing for uniform's. Ben was the name she was given and it came with a picture of a muscular, blonde haired man with a saucy smile, just the type she imagined a sailor to be. She picked up a jacket and tie that looked like it came from a school.

'Oh yeah, should I be worried yet?' she asked, she was shown a picture of a young man with ginger hair and blue eyes who looked to be far to old to be a schoolboy, Turlough, she was told, was not to be trusted in anyway, Martha agreed, something about him made her uneasy. She burst into fit's of laughter as she picked up a Seventies style shirt with a large collar,

'The decade taste forgot', she said as she saw an image of dark haired dark eyed man in a brown suit, Surgeon-Lieutenant Harry Sullivan of the Royal Navy she was told with some pride, so the Doctor had had another medical Doctor on board, one day she'd look him up and swap stories, if he was still around. After spending a bit more time grouping stray garments together she came across what looked a body warmer in a dirty gold colour, she picked it up and looked at it, it certainly wasn't of Earth origin. A picture of a young man, no more than a boy really with longish dark hair, full lips and a rather arrogant look on his face came into her mind, along with an air of sadness from the Tardis. She learned that Adric had been killed trying to save the Earth from a race called the Cybermen; she could feel the loss emanating from the Tardis so she walked over to the wall and gently patted it. Martha knew the Doctor missed his former companions but wondered how the Tardis coped; she could feel the affection it had for the people who had gone before.

'Martha, hurry up we've landed and this restaurant fills up pretty quick' the Doctor yelled. Martha smirked as she pulled garments off the rail.

'Oh there you are' said the Doctor; he did a double take as he took in her outfit, 'why are you wearing Jamie's kilt, Turlough's shirt and Jack's scarf?'

'Isn't it suitable?' she asked innocently.

'Yes you look fine, ok you look more than fine, it's just not...what I expected that's all' he stammered. Martha slipped her arm through his.

'So what's the wine like in this restaurant?' she asked.

Fiction Archive

Reefgirl

23.08.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A26090949

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more