An African Adventure: Birdmen of Africa - Part Two

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the eighth chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

Birdmen of Africa 2

Bertie was already at the reins of the buggy eager to be off and there, by the side of the horses, stood a short, curly-haired chap carrying a spear and wearing nothing but a breach clout.

'Bertie' I called across 'Is he standing in a hole?'

'He's not, he's ...' But before Bertie had time to finish his reply the Hottentot was standing there before me the tip of his spear touching the tip of my nose.

'What is it with you Englishmen, you think we don't understand or
something?' I was somewhat taken aback at this.

'Let me apologise. I was recently hit on the head by my friend over there and am not quite myself yet. Where did you learn English, then?' He grinned up at me.

'From the missionaries, before we ate them. Now you coming or what?'

Bertie was now curling up with laughter in the buggy and shaking, almost to the point of spooking the horses.

'Come on, Knolly, let's away. We've only a few hours of daylight left.' I clambered aboard.

'What about our friend, then?' and I nodded towards our guide.

'What, Samosa? No, he'll run all the way, you just watch him. Right ho, Sam, lets be off then. Hyah!'

With that we were off, out into the scrublands following the dust trail that Sam was now leaving behind. For part of the way we stayed with the route for the projected railway line to Walvis Bay with Windhoek further east but, after few miles of easy going, we turned south to avoid any of the German settlements that lay over the horizon. Bertie was right, the little fella could run and I turned to him and said:

'Is Samosa really his name?'

'It's what he told me, although I've heard that he's some relation to a tribal chief who's been giving the Kaiser's men trouble in these parts of late.' I pondered on this and then went of at a completely different tangent.

'Wouldn't it be great for sport if we could get some of these colonies to sign up with the new Olympic movement? What races there would be!'

'Yes, it would be well worth having a few wagers on.' He laughed.

The buggy was bumped and jostled along by the rough terrain of the Namib and it did my aching head no good at all. Pretty soon, though, Sam came to a stop. Bertie drew up alongside him.

'What's up, Sam? Problem?' Sam was crouched down studying the ground closely.

'Not at the moment my friend, but others have been here before you and the rocks around here are sacred to us.'

'Must have been Germans.' I said 'I mean it is their protectorate after all, so they must put in an appearance now and again. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of them around Walvis.' I looked around at the land that now surrounded us. 'Ah... Africa, Africa, much like India really, eh? Big grey things with huge ears and long noses, intoxicating smells, more vicious things with big pointy teeth that jump on you when your not looking... Bertie?... Bertie come out from behind that rock. Sam told you they were sacred.' Bertie appeared and surveyed the surrounding landscape clutching his rifle.

'I must admit this would be a great spot, Knolly, to launch from. The land around must really heat up during the day and that will give us more lift and let us save on the burner.'

'Bertie, you're not listening. Sam just told us it was sacred. We can't just go trampling around old grave sites and such like. You wouldn't do it at home, would you?'

'Gentlemen, you are not likely to disturb anything, are you? After all, once your flying machine has reached its full growth, you will be away with the wind. If you wish it I shall guard its sleeping form from any evil night spirits.' Bertie and I looked at each other.

'He speaks English fine, but he's no scientist.' pointed out Bertie 'I think we should do it. We'll bring the wagon and balloon out here tomorrow evening and leave Sam to look after it.'

'You're the science whiz, Bertie, I'm with you. So tomorrow we get all our gear and supplies together and pack 'em on the wagon too.'

'We'll have to get Felicity to pack as well to keep up the pretence.' said Bertie. I nodded.

'So, Sam, what do we owe you for your services so far?' Bertie grabbed me by the shoulder and whispered.

'I... er... said he could help in the saloon after we'd gone. Mrs Grey would be glad of the help.' I stared back at him.

'Have you asked her...?'

'No, I thought I'd leave that up to you?'

'Bertie, lets go home. I feel another headache coming on!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We followed Sam back to our lodgings. It was a quiet ride back with both of us thinking about the long journey ahead although Bertie did mutter something about when he'd get a chance to use his rifle. On our arrival we asked Sam to meet us once more at the same time tomorrow evening. Bertie took the buggy round to the stables and sorted out the horse and then went off down to the brewery to see about borrowing the dray horses once more. I went inside in search of Mrs Grey.

I eventually found her upstairs by following the sound of her voice. Here she was cajoling and clucking around her girls like a mother hen as she strove to get them all ready for the evenings' entertainment.

'Mr Knolly, you're back then!' she exclaimed. 'How's all your bumps and bruises?'

'I'll survive, madam, but I'd like a word with you if I may regarding our earlier discussion.' and I winked conspiratorially.

'Its all right, Mr Knolly, Felicity's having a bath... Clarissa mind you don't damage that basque when you sit down.' she called over her shoulder and pulled the door to. 'Now then, am I to understand that you're almost ready to go?'

'That we are, Mrs Grey, that we are. We aim to get all our gear sorted and the balloon out to its launch site tomorrow and, with a fair wind that we are promised, we'll be off the following day.'

'Fine! I'll go back to the girls and we'll sort out a leaving do for
tomorrow night. We can invite any others this evening, then.'

'Oh, and Mrs Grey, I've found someone to help you run the place after we've gone... um... he won't be able to start until a few days later as he is um... very, very busy at the moment. I'm sure you'll like him; he's very quick.'

'Mr Knolly, if he comes recommended by you then I'm sure we'll get along.'

'Ha, ha... yes, well, got to go pack. I'll see you later downstairs then?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The evenings' entertainment seemed to flow by and Bertie and I had no
trouble at all that evening especially once we'd informed all the regulars that tonight was our last but one in the saloon and that tomorrow night they were all welcome at our going away bash. One or two of the drunker ones came over to us to make sure that we took good care of Felicity on our travels but we just laughed these off. It took an age to finally get everyone out of the saloon that night. Anyone would have thought that had been our party, but Mrs Grey was happy with the nights' takings and sat behind the bar counting it all out. The girls and their consorts had all gone away happy leaving just Felicity to be escorted upstairs by Bertie.

I watched them go up arm in arm laughing and giggling as they went. It had been a busy day.

'Don't you take on so, Mr Knolly, sir. You know you're doing the right thing.' said Mrs Grey appearing at my side. 'There's one thing I don't understand though?' I turned and smiled at her.

'Only one, Mrs Grey? There's millions of things I don't understand - all those Chinese dialects for one, calculus, women. See, the list is endless.'

'Stop joshing with me. No, what I want to know is why you arrived here rather than sailing direct to Cape Town?'

'I'm afraid I cannot tell you that, Mrs Grey. Suffice to say the fate of the world as we know it hangs in the balance and it is mine and Bertie's sworn duty to something about it.'

'Hmm... I thought as much when I first set eyes on you both. G'night.'

'Goodnight, Mrs Grey.' I chuckled as she made her own way up the stairs. 'I'll close up.'

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

28.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3962496

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more