An African Adventure: Birdmen of Africa - Part Three

0 Conversations

This is the first time that the Knolly Estate has allowed the great man's memoirs to be published. What follows is the ninth chapter of 'The African Adventure'.

Birdmen of Africa 3

The next day I was up with lark and began dividing my kit into two piles, stuff to take with us and gear to stow in a trunk for shipping back on the next boat to Blighty. Bertie and Felicity appeared mid morning and proceeded to help. Heavens knows what Felicity was intending to take (good job she wasn't coming or we'd never get off the ground). She didn't hang around, though, as it was obvious that she, along with the other girls, were to start preparing for the evenings' celebrations under the strict supervision of Mrs Grey.

Bertie and I carefully checked each others belongings to ensure that we were not doubling up on fripperies; after all, keeping weight to a minimum was going to be crucial and we needed to ensure that we had ample fuel, food and water for the journey. I left Bertie to load our things onto the wagon whilst I took a stroll down to the harbour master to check what the weather forecast was likely to be
in the morning and pick up the dray horses on the way back.

I hadn't met the harbour master before, but he was a typical old sea salt (despite the fact he'd never been in the saloon) in that even with my ear for languages I had the devil's own job trying to understand him. The gist of what I could make out, though, was that the wind would be in the right direction for us, but there was every likelihood that there would be a storm coming fast behind it.

'Great, just dandy!' I thought. 'Still if all goes to plan we'll be running before it.' I decided that I wouldn't let Bertie know about this so as to let him concentrate on the flying. I decided to take one last look in the warehouse before getting the horses and it was a dashed good job I did.

There outside the building were two military-looking types trying desperately not to look it. Then who should come out of the door but Guttmann. I slipped back into the shadows and watched as he spoke to the other two, did a lot of gesticulating and then bade them follow him. I waited a few seconed before making my move.

'Hells, bells and chickens elbows.' I said softly to myself. 'This changes everything. The Countess obviously has her own agenda here and any protection we had been offered from the Kaiser is out of the window. Guttmann must be looking for us, which means we have to go today... Now where did they go?'

I caught site of the three of them making their way along the dockside, stopping and asking questions as they went. I ran round to the brewery as quickly as I could hoping that I wouldn't come across anyone else and arrived in time to see the two dray horses just about to start a feed.

'Stop!' I cried out to the young lad. 'I need them hungry.' The lad and the horses turned to face me.

'And who might you be, sir?'

'My name is Knolly. I'm with Mr Harrison-Harrison - he sent me over to borrow your horses.' I looked over my shoulder towards the door. 'Now look sharp lad!'

'They won't be happy without their lunch, sir.'

'Look, I'll feed them later. Now help me up on to this one and pass me the other reins.' Goodness me it was high - and the size of its feet! I hoped to God I didn't fall off. 'If you'll be so kind to open the gate... giddyup there.' I kicked my heels in and nothing happened.

'See! Told you they was hungry.' I stared down at the boy, drew my old service revolver a fired into the air. Huzzah we were off! Trouble was, so nearly was I. The horses shot out of the brewery yard and I just had a chance to catch site of Guttmann and his two friends leaping out of the way. 'Close, much too close.' I thought. 'And now for Bertie and the balloon.' Our plans were now in tatters as I galloped up towards the saloon on my wided eye charger.

As I rounded a corner I caught site of Felicity and some of the other girls coming out of a shop, obviously getting things for the party. I waved and that was that. I arrived at the saloon stables with the horses covered with foam flecks and their eyes almost popping out of their sockets. Bertie was nowhere to be seen.

I leapt down from my horse. 'BERTIE... BERTIE!' I yelled out. His head looked out from a window, dripping wet.

'What... I was just having a wash up.'

'Trouble, we have to leave now!'

'Sorry?... the party... Felicity.'

'There's no time. Guttmann's here and is only minutes behind me. We're going to have to launch this thing on the move and at speed. Now get down here and help me hitch up the horses.'

Bertie jumped from his window to land in a pile of straw. He bounced up like a live scarecrow, straw going everywhere.

'Did you see her?' he asked as he manoeuvred the horse into place with me.

'Felicity? Yes... I waved.'

'No... her, the Countess.' I shook my head.

'No, but she's playing her own game and I don't think Royal protection's going to be any help. I think she's out for blood this time. She wants to tie us in with the whole thing and if Her Majesties' Government gets caught up so much the better. Now is everything packed in the basket?' Bertie nodded.

'I labelled the trunk to be sent home and asked Mrs Grey to sort it out for us.' Bertie was now pulling something out of the basket. 'I don't think we'll need these, either.' and he heaved out Felicity's baggage.

'Right, Bertie, get the burners going. I'll drive the horses.' Just at that moment Mrs Grey came bustling through the back door.

'Mr Knolly, sir, there's some gents to see you.' She stopped mid-sentence and looked at us ready to go. 'So you're off then? I'll keep 'em busy shall I?' As she turned to go I called out.

'Mrs Grey, I have a question. What's your first name?'

'Dolly!' she replied.

'Well goodbye Dolly Grey and be very careful.'

'Give Felicity my regards, Mrs Grey.' choked Bertie from behind.

A shot rang out.

'You best be off now!' she said and ran for cover.

'KNOLLY... LETS GO!!!' Bertie cried. I whipped those poor horses for all they were worth and we flew out of the yard and out towards the scrubland. It didn't matter now about the launch site anymore as that would be the wagon itself. As it lurched along at speeds it wasn't designed for, I caught site of Bertie working away at strange pumps and things.

'Can we do it without stopping?' I called out over my shoulder. Bertie grinned back.

'We'll find out soon enough. Mind you, once it's inflated it's going to lift straight away so you'll have to be on it too!'

'Bertie tie that elastic rope to the basket and then throw the other end to me. If it was good enough for Ping it's good enough for me.'

'Knolly... we've got company!' Bertie pointed behind him. I looked and saw dust clouds which could only be our pursuers.

'How long till it's ready Bertie?'

'I don't know! Here, catch!' and he threw me the rope. By now the balloon canopy was wallowing up towards the sky making a jolly good rifle target.

'Bertie, as soon as it's inflated cut the basket loose and get as much height as possible. I'll put my trust in this rope.'

'Knolly, you're stark raving mad!!'

'Just do it!' A small dust cloud rose in front of us. They had almost found their range.

'Knolly, they're shootin' at us!' cried a flustered Bertie and then regained his composure. 'Just like old times. I knew something was missing all that time we'd spent at Mrs Grey's.' I laughed.

'Ah yes, the thrill of the chase and all that... what?' At this point I felt the wagon start to lurch and I looked over my shoulder. The balloon was fully inflated and it was providing a very efficient brake to our rapid departure. Bertie waved to me and fell into the basket head first. He soon reappeared brandishing some sort of knife.

'You ready then, Knolly? I'm cutting the mooring lines now!' I watched him sawing away for all he was worth and tied the elasticated rope hastily around my waist. More shots rang out. They were gaining. 'Bugger this,' I thought and urged the dray horses on with a fierce crack of the reins - not that they needed it. These nags weren't like cavalry mounts and were easily startled by the harsh sounds going on all around them.

All of sudden I lost my footing. I lurched to the left and found myself floating alongside the wagon. Bertie had done it! We were off... or so I thought. Next thing I knew my feet were on the ground and
then they weren't... blasted elastic rope. Here I was bouncing along after the wagon like some kind of demented skipping kangaroo with our friends getting closer all the time.

'Bertie, how goes it?' I hollered in a general upwards direction. 'I'm not sure how much my knees can keep up with this confounded bouncing!'

'I need to get more height.' Bertie yelled down. 'Will you be all right for a bit?'

'Bertie, throw me down your rifle... I'm in your hands down here but I'll get rid of the opposition if I can!' Bertie tossed down his prized possession and I quickly let off a couple of rounds. It was difficult to aim as the horizon wasn't quite where it should be! I waited to let the elastic rope build up its own rhythm and then adjusted accordingly. My wait paid off as a third shot sent a horseman spinning to the ground. Who I'd hit I've no idea but it slowed them down no end. I reloaded and then noticed that the intervals spent between hitting the ground and being airborne were getting longer. I fired again and then noticed I'd spun around 180 degrees to face our own wagon bearing down upon me... the horses had turned back towards us... or more to the point me.

'Knolly... JUMP!!' shouted a voice from the Gods.

'Which way, which way?!' I screamed.

'UP!'

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

05.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4006784

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more