The Bicycle

3 Conversations

Father and child on trailer bike.

The Bicycle

I want a bicycle.

A red one.

Well.... Maybe it could be blue, that would be okay.

It has to be fast. So I can race Bobby to the circle at the end of the street and beat him. Bobby always beats me at everything. Bobby beats everyone at everything.

I told Mommy I want a bicycle. She gave me a chocolate chip cookie and told me to go watch TV. I watched Sesame Street. Cookie Monster ate a chocolate chip cookie, too. Then Elmo rode a bicycle past Oscar's garbage can. I went and told Mommy I want a bicycle again.

Mommy told me if I'm very, very good, and don't colour the carpet with markers again, or feed the kitty play-dough, or push all the buttons on the vee-see-are, that maybe I might get a bicycle on my next birthday. When's that? I asked. Next month, Mommy said.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I asked Mommy if it had been a month yet. She said it had only been two days. A month is so long, I don't think my birthday will ever get here... I'll never be four! Mommy said I was driving her crazy and I had to go outside to play. I took my green ball with me and kicked it in the yard. Until Bobby came over. He kicked my ball down the street. Bobby's so mean! When I get my bicycle I'm going to throw a rock at him and ride off really fast.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We went to the store today. Mommy said she had to buy a pair of black shoes because the dam cat knows just where to do her thing, and how was Mom supposed to go to her meeting at work if she didn't have black shoes? I don't know what the kitty did to Mommy's shoes, but it's okay with me because I got to see the bicycles at the store. There was even one there with lots of silvery stars on it! I can't wait 'til my birthday! I've been sooooo good, I even tried to help Mommy by mopping the floor. Mommy says you're not supposed to get the carpet wet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today I watched Sesame Street again. Ernie played a saxy phone, but it squeaked because he was holding his duckie. Elmo counted numbers to eighteen, but I could only count to 'leven. I hope it's my birthday soon!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's almost my birthday now. I can tell because Mommy is cleaning the house real good so it looks nice in case comp'ny comes over. She even mopped the floor and made it shiny. Not the carpet, though.

I hope I get lots of presents for my birthday! Well, just a few presents would be okay, too, if one of them was a bicycle. I hope I get to have ice cream! Strawberry is my favourite.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It's my birthday today!! Mikey and Shelley and Joey and his little sister Elly came over to play with me and eat some cake. I love cake! We had ice cream, but it was 'nilla instead of strawberry.

We played on the swings in the back yard. We had races, and Mommy gave the winners prizes. I didn't win a prize but that's okay because I was just waiting for presents and hoping I would get a bicycle.

Finally after everyone else won prizes Mommy said it was time to open presents. I opened Joey and Elly's present first because it was the biggest so it might be a bicycle. It was a big stand with paper on it to put in my room and Mommy said I could draw pictures on it and give them to Gramma.

Next I opened a present from Mikey because it was in bright red paper and I like red. It was a car that can race on the hard floor. It's green and white and if you pull it back and let it go it races off across the floor and crashes into the wall. I looked in the box again and saw another one in there, Mikey brought two so we could race them.

Shelley gave me some colouring books with superheroes in them to colour. Spider Man is my favourite because he's red. She gave me crayons, too. A big box with more than 8 colours in it!

Mommy gave me her present. I hoped it was a bicycle but the box was too small. I wanted to cry because it wasn't a bicycle but I didn't. I opened my present and it was hard pads I can wear on my knees and elbows so I don't hurt myself if I fall down. There was a hat, too, but I don't bump my head a lot so I don't know if I can use it.

We went back outside so we could play some more before Mikey and Shelley and Joey and Elly had to leave and when we got there...

There it was!! A bicycle!! And it's silver with red and blue. It even has the extra wheels on the back so I won't fall over when I ride it. Mommy tells me the hard pads are so I don't hurt myself when I ride it. She says I have to wear the helmet thing, too. I don't care - I'll wear anything if I can ride my bicycle!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I been practising on my bicycle and now I can ride all up and down the driveway without wobbling too much.

Bobby saw my bicycle today. He was in the car with his mommy and they drove past our house on their way to the store when I was practising. After they went by I got off my bicycle and looked for a rock because I knew when Bobby came back home he'd come over to see my bicycle. I found a really good rock in Mommy's garden. It fitted in my pocket so I put it there so I'd have it when Bobby came back.

But when Bobby came back I reached for my rock and didn't have time to get it before he ran up and pushed me off my bicycle. I yelled and told him to go away and he got on my bicycle and rode to the end of the driveway. I yelled for Mommy and she came running because she thought I hurted myself when I fell off my bicycle. I told her I wasn't hurted and I didn't fall, Bobby pushed me.

Bobby was riding down the street to the circle on my bicycle fast as lightning. Mommy yelled at him to 'Get back here with that bicycle!' but he didn't listen to her and kept going. He rode into the grass in the circle and because the grass is soft he started wobbling and fell over. Bobby fell on one side and my bicycle fell the other way and I could hear Bobby crying.

Mommy knocked on Bobby's door to get his mommy and they both went to get Bobby and my bicycle. Bobby broke my bicycle because one of the extra wheels is bent and it won't not fall over now. I was going to cry because my bicycle got broken by stupid, mean Bobby but Mommy said that Daddy could fix my bicycle when he got home.

And then I saw that when Bobby fell off my bicycle he fell in doggy doody, so I laughed because none of it got on my bicycle but a lot of it got all over Bobby! He got a black eye, too, and for the next week he kept walking into the doorway because he couldn't see on that side.

Fiction Archive

Broelan

25.09.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A41336219

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more