The h2g2 Post 25.09.08

2 Conversations


Posted: 25th September 2008


 

 


New Beginnings


I had a really nice editorial planned for you this week, you know. I've been out on the moors and coast path with a great bunch of children over the last couple of days, and today felt as if summer had properly ended. I also have a whole bunch of things to look forward to over the winter and next spring, and I was going to tell you about all this before continuing in a related vein about this issue.


Then I thought how much my Editorials must sound like being in church sometimes. I avoid going more often than necessary, but I happened to be in one a few weeks ago when the vicar started talking about the Olympics. You just know that God is going to be, in some small way, like an Olympic gold medallist, or we are like children waiting for our GCSE results, or Jesus was a bit like Kevin Keegan.


And I suppose that, in some small way, my Editorials are a bit like sermons. So I'll stop there, eh?


I'm sad to report that we're saying goodbye to three Regular columns this week. Smudger has written his last Snippet after five years and almost 150 issues. I'm really going to miss his columns, and the archives are a constant delight— do have a browse and see what you've been missing out on if you're not a fan already. On the plus side, he does hint that he might be persuaded back, so perhaps if we all tell him how great he is he may yet carry on. Has to be worth a try, eh? If not; Smudger, thank you very much for everything. You've been a wonderful contributor over the years, and all the team wish you all the best in the future.


We're also saying goodbye to Babe Among the Stars in this issue, which I'll be astronomically lost without, and Mu Beta has decided to step down from writing Entry of the Month, a project I know he has put a hell of a lot of work into. These are both columns I've thoroughly enjoyed and will miss immensely, although we are hoping we'll find someone to take over the reins at EotM. Thank you both for all your hard work.


There's good news as well, though. Malabarista and dimitrigheorgheni have been working on a special new webcomic for us, Anarchy Gordon, which we teased you with last week. The first part appears below. Our new proactive approach to finding columnists is paying dividends, it seems—as well as this, we have some wonderful pieces from the AWW for you, and Bel has dug up a cracker from one of SWL's journals to boot. We do seem to be moving forward, and I'd like to thank everyone involved for their work, help, and permission to use their work.


Thanks to you all for your hard work on this issue. The deadline for the next one is midnight on 5th October; get your contributions in, and I hope you all enjoy this issue!


Skankyrich


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

  • Anarchy Gordon

  • It's here! Part One of our brilliant new webcomic
    by Malabarista and dmitrigheorgheni


 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 


 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A40543715

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more