Ford Mondeo Specifications

0 Conversations

Ford Mondeo

Four-Wheel-Drive Ford Mondeo

The Ford Mondeo Si 4x4 five door hatchbacks taking part in the Overland Challenge are prototype versions of the four-wheel-drive models scheduled for European introduction in 1994. They have been built to the standard Ford specifications for vehicles sold in Sweden where winder temperatures and road conditions in the north of the country are comparable with those likely to be encountered in Russia.

The four-wheel-drive system of the Mondeo 4x4 is similar to that seen in the recently launched Escort 4x4 but does not incorporate a viscous couple between the front and rear axles.

In order to route the drive to the rear differential, a completely new transfer box has been designed for use in the four-wheel-drive Mondeo - distributing the torque at a ratio of 58 per cent/42 per cent to the front and rear wheels respectively. As in the Escort, torque distribution takes place in the planetary gearset, which has a dual carrier, to ensure the same direction of rotation for front and rear axles.

The rear axle layout incorporates the 'Quadralink' arrangement of front-wheel-drive Mondeo models but employs a new rear axle cross member. All Mondeo 4x4 versions are equipped with anti-lock brakes (ASB) and traction control (TCS). TCS is used in place of a viscous couple and controls the speed of each wheel by precise use of the car's braking system under certain driving conditions

In preparing the Mondeos for the Overland Challenge, modifications have been kept to a minimum. To cope with temperatures of minus 40 degrees Centigrade which could be faced in Siberia, fuel and brake lines have been routed inside the vehicles. In addition, ground clearance has been raised 30 millimeters front and rear and protective undershielding fitted to cope with the rutted roads of Siberia. The cars also have supplementary jacking points, an auxiliary 1Kw heater, two extra batteries and winter tyres.

The Mondeo establishes class leadership in technology, safety engineering and environmental efficiency. On-board microprocessors control advanced electronic systems for traction control, adaptive damping for the independent front and rear suspension, four-wheeldrive and anti-lock brakes.

All Mondeo models incorporate an integrated safety system with driver's side air bag fitted as standard, seatbelts equipped with both 'grabbers' and pre-tensioners, and 'anti-submarining' seat bases designed to retain their occupants in the even of an accident. In addition the 'safety cell' body structure which has been developed using Ford's Cray YMP super-computer in the US includes side door beams and special body design features to provide all-round crash protection for passengers.

The Mondeo is also the most environmentally efficient vehicle ever produced by Ford, and the cars taking part in the Overland Challenge will be fitted with the latest 2-litre, 16-valve Zetec engines equipped with closed-loop, three-way catalytic converters and electronically controlled exhaust gas recirculation systems. In addition to exhaust gas control all Mondeos have a carbon canister to trap the fuels given off from the fuel tank that would otherwise escape into the atmosphere.

Ford News Release: December 2 1993


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A439102

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more