h2g2 Post 22.12.05

2 Conversations

Dr Mo


Posted: 22nd December 2005


 

smiley - santa smiley - spaceSeasons Greetings to you all smiley - spacesmiley - santa

The tree is decorated (and hopefully the cake), the presents all wrapped and the reminder to pick up the festive bird affixed firmly to the fridge door. Another Christmas and the end of another year. My son, his wife, my two oldest grandchildren and one of my daughters and her husband live on the Isle of Wight and my other two daughters and third grandchild are joining them there for the celebrations. Sadly I won't be able to join them but at least I can reach them all with one phonecall this year!

What should have been a time of relaxation and fun for many turned into a nightmare last Boxing Day as the tsunami swept over many countries turning idyllic settings into great swathes of devastation. It was good to see on the BBC last night that many of those affected by this terrible occurance are now rebuilding their shattered lives helped by the generosity of so many people throughout the world. Unfortunately, alongside the hope for a brighter future, was the warning that it may well happen again and not just in Asia.

All in all, 2005 hasn't been a kind year as hurricanes, severe flooding and earthquakes reduced many areas to rubble. Celebrations in the UK over winning the Olympic bid were curtailed by the London suicide bombings and kidnappings, terrorism and violence dominated the news. As we prepare to move into 2006 we can only hope for a more peaceful, less troubled world.

As some of you may have noticed we have experienced a lot of problems with our email recently. To overcome this problem we have set up a new one which we hope will be far more reliable. This does mean, however, that we really need you to use the 'official' email submission link which will, from now on, appear at the bottom of every Post Front Page and is also featured prominently at The Post Office. One essential factor in this working correctly is that the subject of the email shows as 'Article Submission'. We have included this within the link so all you have to do is click and send!

We hope that you enjoy this festive edition of The Post - feedback always welcome - and we'll see you again on 12.01.06. smiley - cracker

ShazzPRME(emeritus)


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 
The Post Box
Article Submissions Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page

The Post Office

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5749239

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more