The h2g2 Post 30.11.09

0 Conversations



Posted: 30th November 2009


 

 



Busy

Today, I had trouble – loading pages on h2g2 was incredibly slow. I switched to another browser to check whether it was h2g2 or my internet connection. Opera has something called 'Turbo', and it was indeed much faster.
You can bet that it wasn't as easy as it sounds, though: Opera needed an update. Afterwards, I noticed a few icons which I had never seen before, so I tried to find out. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Opera offers exactly the same things the new, much talked about 'Google Wave' offers. I had briefly wondered whether the new 'Google Wave' feature might be suitable for the Post Team to make communication, sharing of files etc easier. Apparently, this feature isn't new in Opera, although I can't tell because I don't use Opera very often. Anyway, always curious and checking things out, I signed up. You don't need to have Opera mail, any valid email account will do.

It wasn't a good day, though, the validation email never arrived. I guess it's a global problem, because Twitter didn't want to play, either. I don't know how and why, but our Twitter Account has gained quite a few followers from all over the world in the past few days. It is fascinating, and I always click on the follower's profile, trying to guess who it could be. Today, I got error messages, though, so I'll have to try another time. Maybe everybody was busy creating a Twitter Cloud, which caused too much traffic for the Twitter servers, who knows.

Here at the Post Office, we've been very busy, too, these past few weeks. In addition to the usual work, there was lots to plan and to prepare for our special issues, like the Post's 10 birthday next week - and we haven't even started planning the Christmas issue yet.
The communication within the Post Team was a little difficult at times. My emails to the group kept bouncing back, and KB lost his email account altogether.


However, many hands make light work, and in a huge effort of fantastic teamwork, and despite all the hindrances, we even managed to prepare something very special for the current issue: the h2g2 Post Advent Calendar which you'll find below. Bookmark it and find a new surprise behind the windows for each of the first 24 days in December.
But that's not all we have to offer. After a longer absence, Nigel is back with his popular Gardening Hints and Tips. We have articles from cartoonists and writers old and new, like the experience RodtheBrit describes, see below.
Last week we offered a prominent space on the Post Front Page for your thoughts in no more than 140 words, and I'm delighted to say that minorvogonpoet was interested.
Before you start reading all the gems, I want to remind you of our The Post 10th Anniversary Graphic Competition, the deadline for which is midnight GMT tonight.




B'Elana


 

 
IMAGINATIVE

 

 

 

 
LIFELIKE

 

 

 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 

 

 


Think Tank 140

ONE DAY IN JULY

It started as an ordinary morning,


until rumours began running in the office.

An explosion at Liverpool Street,


or was it Edgware Road?


A power surge, they said, until a bus


blew up.


Tension crackled as the words


'terrorist' and 'bomb' passed


from ear to mouth to ear.

Workers swarmed round monitors,


gazed at photos of a bus opened


as a sardine tin,


passengers straggling from familiar stations


bewildered and bloodied


as from a war zone.

Safe in our air-conditioned office


we couldn't concentrate


on the intricacies of local government


while our fellows died a mile away.

I returned home wondering


about bombs beneath seats.

minorvogonpoet


 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION

 

 


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A58768915

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more