The h2g2 Post 14.12.09

1 Conversation


Posted: 14th December 2009


 

 

Christmas is nigh!

Just 11 days to go. How do you feel in the run-up to Christmas? Are you stressed, is it hectic? Then this is your chance to have a break. Get a cup of tea or coffee or whatever else you like to drink, and read the wonderful articles our contributors have written for you.

I used to feel stressed before, and even more at Christmas. Not because 'I' thought I had to do so many things, but because my husband made a lot of stress. Which was a shame, as I tried everything not to be stressed. When my sons were little, we started the day by opening a door in the Advent calendars I had made for them, and then I read them a Christmas story while they had their breakfast, at the warm light of the candles on our Advent wreath. I think Germany is the land of Advent calendars, and for a few years, I bought special books with either 24 stories, or chapters to read to my sons. It was a wonderful start into the dark and cold December days.

Now they are adults, and my eldest son doesn't live here any more, while my youngest son spends hours in the bathroom to style his hair – apart from the fact that they can read themselves now.

Still, I'm determined not to have any stress, if possible. We don't have a Christmas tree, because there's nobody to buy it, or decorate it. Christmas seems to be very much a feast for small children.

However, I went to the Christmas market in Frankfurt this Saturday, with the family (husband, youngest son, husband's brother and mother). The only other time I've been there, was when the boys were still small, and I had sworn I'd never go there again. On Saturday, I was reminded why: the movement of thousands of people passing from all directions made me dizzy. A friend had asked me to look for some Christmas tree decorations, but it took me a while to discover a stall which actually sold something other than mulled wine, Bratwurst or other food! I wonder what the attraction is.

I was happy to return home after a couple of hours, to the peace of my living room. I very much prefer to prepare the next Post issue. Please, remember our Christmas Competition which you'll find below (yes, I know, but I thought it would be good to remind you).

And now, take a break and enjoy this issue of the Post.


B'Elana


 

 
SOMEWHERE IN SPACE

 

 

 

 
BIRDS OF PREY

 

 
IT'S All ABOUT BOOKS

 

 
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE SENSIBLE

 

 

 

 
QUIZZES AND SOLUTIONS

 

 

 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION

 

 


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A58769022

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more