h2g2 Post 03.01.02

2 Conversations


Posted: 3rd January 2002

Editorial

2002 has arrived... it looks promising whichever way round you read it.

First, as is becoming the norm for 'holiday' periods at The Post, apologies are due for the lack of a few favourites. In retrospect it was probably just too much for our faithful and valued contributors to try and keep them chained to their desks throughout the festive season. I think, in future years, we will give them all at least one day off!

The weather here in Holland has been unbelievably cold with all the pavements and roads turning to skating rinks. Sadly it still hasn't frozen over all the canals enough to allow me to try 'the skate' from here to Amsterdam - there is still plenty of winter left for that, though.

The New Year arrived with an explosion of fireworks. I was working the 1am - 4am shift at Het Kasteel and found it quite tricky to negotiate between all the random displays set up along every street, not to mention the aforementioned slippery quality of the route. It was well worth the effort, however, and a very merry time was had by all. smiley - cheers

Another explosive event, which turned out to be more of a damp squib, was the introduction of the infamous 'Euro' currency. As a 'token' system was used at the party, I didn't have to worry but, tomorrow, I will have to get to grips with it when I assist behind the bar. We have been handling them for a couple of weeks, now, as the Dutch Government kindly gave a free bag of coins to each of us to play with. We hope to bring you a fuller report on just how well they have been received and whether people are coping in the next edition.

Some of you missed a Wowbagger last week didn't you? Come on... own up! We really fooled you by running two eh? Well, Wowbagger is taking a very well-deserved rest for a month, so we will give you another chance to see it this week. If any of you have a favourite h2g2 Life or cartoon you would like to see again in the next few editions just ask and we'll try to work out which ones they are! Spimcoot will still, hopefully, be thrilling you with his 'Paper Cuts', so you won't be too bereft.

We hope to be properly back on course next week with more of your old favourites overcoming computer difficulties, excess of merriment and other problems to bring you the quality of Post you are used to.


shazzPRME

 
 
FeaturesRegulars

  • AGG/GAG

  • A slightly pared down version due to

    commitments of the festive kind.


  • 24 Lies a Second

  • Awix hands out the Lassie Awards. And will probably get them
    handed straight back.


  • h2g2 Life

  • The New Year cartoon - hands up who missed this last week!

  • The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A646021

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more