The h2g2 Post 19.07.10

0 Conversations



Posted: 19st July 2010


 

 

Visitors and other distractions

It was an interesting weekend. It started somewhat early, with my sister and family stopping at my place for a night on their way to Canada. Fortunately, the day had been a bit cooler, so the flat's temperature was OK.They left Friday morning and after I had cleared all the extra bedding and breakfast table and stuff, I sat down and browsed hootoo. I found a post by TRiG, attached to an article he had had published in the Post. It led me to a website which – in gender genie style – promised to analyse my writing. I was curious, so I duly copied and pasted one of my articles and it came up with David Foster Wallace. I had never heard of him, so I tried another text. And another. And another. Up came names like Ursula K Le Guin, Margaret Atwood, Edgar Allan Poe - and Douglas Adams! I thought this was fun, so I shared the link in a journal. My friends and I spent a very pleasant couple of days having our texts analysed and discussing which criteria the site might use. It was a huge success – so much so, that a friend posted her own journal with her results.

The weather stayed cool and we even had some much needed rain (thanks to my friends from the UK, who sent the bad weather front my way) which was a relief. However, the next heatwave is forecast for Wednesday. I hope it won't dry up my brain again. Before I forget: next Monday will be the last regular issue before we go on our summer break for the whole of August when we'll have our summer specials for you. It doesn't mean you should stop submitting your articles, it just means that anything which reaches us later than Saturday, 24 July will be held over until we're fully back. So, read, write, and enjoy.


Bel


 

 
A POSITIVE OUTCOME

 

 

  • Musical Notes

  • Compelling report about the first night of the BBC Proms 2010




 

 
BB IS WATCHING

 

 

 

 
IS IT USER FRIENDLY?

 

 

 

 
SUMMERTIME

 

 

 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION

 

 


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A68959732

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more