Hammer Today Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Hammer Today

0 Conversations

Hammer Films: Birth of a Studio | Filmography
Hammer Stars | Hammer Horror | What makes a Hammer Horror film? | Hammer Films: The Final Years | Hammer Today

Resurrection

On 31 January, 2000, Hammer Film Productions Ltd was acquired by a private investment consortium consisting of - amongst others - Larry Chrisfield, chairman of the British Film Commission, Rob Dickins, chairman of the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and former chairman of Warner Music, Neil Mendoza and William Sieghart of Forward Publishing, and Charles Saatchi, co-founder of Saatchi & Saatchi Advertising. The consortium announced their plan to resurrect the Hammer name across all types of media, including the internet and digital television. The ex-chairman of Hammer, Roy Skeggs, and his son Graham Skeggs, were kept on as consultants.

The following year, Hammer Entertainment Ltd (as they had been renamed) announced a six-picture deal with FirstSight Films Ltd, an independent film production company headed up by Charles Sturridge, director of the classic TV mini-series Brideshead Revisited (made by Granada TV in 1984 and based on the book by Evelyn Waugh) and the recent Shackleton for Channel Four. While it looks like Hammer might one day return to film production, with only Roy Skeggs left with any connection to the original Hammer 'family' it could never be the same. For many of the fans of the original films, the future of Hammer lies resolutely in its past.

Other Entries in this Project


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A710290

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more