The h2g2 Post 09.02.06

0 Conversations


 


Posted: 9th February 2006


 

 


The Free Press


I suppose smiley - thepost is a newspaper, if a rather specialised one serving a rather specialised audience. This has got me wondering what I would do if I were the editor of the Danish paper that published the now-famous Muslim cartoons. In September, Jyllands-Posten published 12 cartoons by different artists that portrayed the Prophet Muhammad, something that is strictly forbidden by Islamic law. As a result, violence against the Danish and Jyllands-Posten has erupted throughout the world — particularly in the Middle East. Danish embassies have been torched and Danish flags burnt. In addition, other papers in Europe have come under fire for their decisions to reprint the cartoons as an act of solidarity. The editor of one French tabloid was fired for choosing to reprint the cartoons.

This all makes me think about what we would do if one of our cartoons were to come under similar fire. Of course, we're not exactly in the same position as the Danish paper: we are not an entirely unconstrained press while we belong to the BBC and so we can't risk the possibility that something might offend. But the dilemma still exists, that fine line between free expression and offence that it is sometimes quite difficult to tread. While it's impossible not to recognise the insult that the cartoons have sent to the Muslim world, it's hardly reasonable to call for the cartoonists to be beheaded as some Muslim leaders have done. The difference between two contrasting cultures once again has reared its head.

It seems that all this paper can do is hope that the current crisis is resolved so that tolerance may once again prevail.


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

 

 

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page

The Post Office

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A7645151

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more