The h2g2 Post 06.04.06

2 Conversations


Posted: 6th April 2006


 

 


Meanwhile, back online...


In my devotion to commenting on literature and world events, I've unfortunately neglected to discuss some of the most important changes happening here on h2g2. A slew of announcements have blanketed the site in the past few weeks, concerning, firstly, the sad departure of Paully, but the welcome return of Beth, an italic of old, to fill the breach. It has been announced that certain threads — for example, official h2g2 announcements — will be closed by the italics if necessary. Two amendments have been made to the House Rules: incomprehensible postings, such as those consisting of 'txtspk', that disturb the flow of a conversation are now considered yikesable; and it is no longer possible for lifetime bans to be discussed with the community, as was the case in the past. Finally — and most dramatically, it seems — on Monday a filter was introduced that blocks out some of the most heinous of swearwords.

It was the swearword filter that appears to have occasioned the most discussion among members of the community, with Researchers falling on both sides of the issue. Some say that a measure which prevents rudeness and unnecessary swearing on a 'family' site is positive; others object to the censorship and curtailing of thought and expression that this filter would seem to indicate. In classic hootoo spirit, a group of Researchers has been contributing to a rapidly-growing New h2g2 Swearword Lexicon in order to fill the gap. It is difficult to know where to stand on this issue, a fact which somewhat simplifies my duty of impartiality as the author of this editorial.

In any case, celebrations are approaching: congratulations are in order for Elly and Bob, whose daughter Maya was born on 13 March. The Post would also like to wish its Christian readers an excellent Easter and its Jewish readers a pleasant Passover. If you're not Christian or Jewish, well, have an excellent two weeks anyway.


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

  • h2g2 Life

  • 'An Influential Newbie' - Nannie Beeb, the early years


 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A7645485

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more