Entry of the Month: December Winner

0 Conversations

The Entry of the Month banner

Welcome to Entry Of The Month, the Post column that celebrates the very best of writing for the Edited Guide.

Thank you to everyone voting in the December 2010 competition, as indeed in every Entry of the Month competition since it began in September 2007. Sadly, December's will be the last competition for the forseeable future. The numbers of published entries have fallen so low towards the end of 2010 that we have decided to suspend the competition until the rate increases once again. To illustrate this: in the month when Mu Beta initiated the competition, there were 48 new entries to choose from. In January 2011, there were only five.

We can only hope that with the site redesign and the forthcoming transition to a new host, h2g2 will gain a new lease of life. It would be wonderful to experience once again the enthusiasm and appetite for writing which we all remember from the earlier days of the project.

I enjoyed the task of compiling the monthly shortlist for one main reason: it forced me to read through all the Edited Guide entries. I invariably found an amazing diversity of topics, approaches and styles, each one crafted by some very talented folks. If you look through the archive page for this competition, you'll find the list of monthly badge-winners. No writer has won it more than a handful of times, and there are examples of all types of entry: historical accounts, biographies, travelogues, collaborative pieces, erudite university projects, as well as a sprinkling of zany ones which defy categorisation. They were sub-edited by volunteers, and illustrated by our very own community artists and photographers, too. You can all be proud of yourselves.

The Winners

We have one final winner to announce:

Entry of the Month, December 2010 is The Nerja Caves, Andalucia, Spain.

This Entry, written and photographed by Galaxy Babe and sub-edited by Gnomon, describes this geological wonder in Southern Spain, which doubles as an underground auditorium.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Entry of the Month Archive

Icy North

07.02.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A80836266

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more