h2g2 Hidden Words Quiz: Spot the Novel 2

1 Conversation

A book bearing a picture of the 'hiding place'.

Despite popular request, here's another helping of hidden word puzzle. The last literary-themed one seems to have kept you all quiet (did anyone have a go?) If you haven't seen one of these before, then you'll need some instructions to follow. I shall say this only once...

Instructions

Below, you'll find two lists. In the first list you need to spot the titles of classic novels. Well, I say classic - a few of them are 'modern classics'. In the second list you need to find the surnames of their authors. In each case these are hidden within the titles of h2g2 Edited Guide Entries.

The length of the hidden title/author is shown in brackets, so, for example, if an entry in the first list was...

Gallipoli - the Battle (6)

...then the hidden novel would be "Lolita". The letters appear in order within the title:

gaLlipOLI - The bAttle

This novel's author would appear somewhere in in the second list; for example it could be in the entry:

Lord Byron - Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know: Live Fast, Die Young (7)

...which contains the author (Vladimir) "Nabokov":

lord byroN - mAd, Bad, and dangerOus to KnOw: liVe fast, die young

Before You Start

There are 20 novels and associated authors to find. Some novel titles contain more than one word. I've ignored spaces, capitalisation and punctuation. Finally, the lists are scrambled, so N1 isn't necessarily the novel written by author A1.

Good luck!

Novels

N1C - the Programming Language (9)
N2Creating Believable Fictional Worlds(8)
N3Mindfulness (4)
N4Risk in Industrial Society - Some Case Histories(7)
N5Saxophone(3)
N6Tenacious D - the Band(6)
N7The American Beatles Albums: The Canadian Albums(9)
N8The Burning of the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge - American Civil War(11)
N9The Cambridge Footlights(6)
N10The History and Music of the Libera Choir(10)
N11The Reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England(6)
N12The Romans in Britain: Towns and Villas(10)
N13The Rose and the Drinking Game(10)
N14Things to Do if You Are Stuck at London Heathrow Airport(10)
N15Trick Pitches in Baseball(7)
N16UK School Crossing Patrol ('Lollipop' men and women)(11)
N17University of Bristol, UK(5)
N18Vanderbilt's Folly - Origins of the Pennsylvania Turnpike(10)
N19Washing a Car for Under $2 at Suds-on-Sixty in Vermilion, Ohio, USA(10)
N20Who Was Mohammed?(5)

Authors

A1Bellevue, Iowa, USA(6)
A2'Bergerac' - the TV Series(6)
A3Changing a Sump Gasket on a Mk4 Ford Fiesta(7)
A4Dinosaur Hunters(5)
A5'Gladiator' - the Film(4)
A6Guitar-related Injuries(6)
A7How Old Is Your Cat in Relation to You?(8)
A8Jim Jarmusch - Director(7)
A9Journey into Space(5)
A10Marketing(4)
A11Masculinity in the Movies(6)
A12Mel Brooks - Director, Actor, Writer and Producer(8)
A13Sambo's Grave, Sunderland Point, Lancashire, UK(7)
A14Scales in Music(5)
A15Supermarkets(5)
A16The Black and White Photography Process(9)
A17The Jolly Roger(6)
A18The Rex Cinema - Berkhamsted(7)
A19The Shagbark Tree(6)
A20Women's College Basketball(7)

Icy's Quizzes and More Archive

Icy North

21.03.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A82677874

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more