The h2g2 Post 23.12.13

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 23rd December 2013

Oh, the Stories

Merry Christmas, Earth. Back in 1968, Christmas was made memorable for this Editor by the crew of Apollo 8. The astronauts shared the first flyover images of the moon with us. They ended their broadcast with, 'We close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas, and God bless all of you – all of you on the good Earth.' I remember thinking at the time, 'Look at it. It's where we all live. Billions of people. And every one with a story to tell.'

Today, h2g2 is part of the promise of the internet – that we have a tool for telling our stories to one another. And what stories! In this issue of the Post, benjaminpmoore shares some painful truths about the limitations of helping. tucuxii opens a personal store of memories to give us a glimpse of the struggle for freedom in South Africa. Be sure to let them know you appreciate the lessons they've learned.

Sometimes, the problems of the world seem overwhelming. Willem has an insight on that. He's used his gift as a painter to muse on the subject of Pandora. The legend of the woman who opened the box is as relevant to our human perplexity today as it was thousands of years ago.

Oh, we're upbeat, too. We've got a quiz, and Rod's back with more woodcarving tips, and of course the Christmas crossword has arrived on time, thanks to our Bluebottle. Galaxy Babe's back to show us the stars, and Willem 's here to show us the beauty in which this terrestrial ball abounds. Magwitch answers the December Creat challenge in style, with a story about family gaming (what else?).Thanks to all of them.

We're as snarky as ever. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, you just have to laugh. But be sure to take time to reflect this season. It's what we're all about.

Pastey and all the teams are busy preparing new strategies and new tools to improve the function and outreach of h2g2. In the coming year, there will be an exciting Meet. We'll be using social media more and more. It's all in support of our continuing mission: to reach out around the world, and share our knowledge, insights, and personal experiences.

A happy holiday to everyone. Be blessed, and keep writing!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

CHRISTMAS IS COMING, THE GOOSE IS GETTING FAT
  • Eland cow and calf by Willem
  • .

  • Leadwood.


PLEASE TO PUT A PENNY IN THE OLD MAN'S HAT

IF YOU HAVEN"T GOT A PENNY…

  • Child in the Manger.
  • Pandora by Willem.

A HA'PENNY WILL DO

IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT A HA'PENNY, THEN GOD BLESS YOU!
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87817279

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more