The h2g2 Post 10.02.14

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 10th February 2014

Exploring the Strange and Beautiful

Fall Creek Fallsl in Tennessee. Don't you love to explore? Whether your mousefinger is poised over a selection of yummy factoids in the Library of Congress, or you're actually hiding in the bushes, waiting for that cedar waxwing to come into your binoculared view, you're exploring. In search of the strange and beautiful. Like that waterfall. It's an old picture, but a good one. Besides, the water's still rushing like that. Can you imagine being the first person to see that? Of course, if you were the first person to see that, you'd have been wearing buckskins and carrying a spear – and the internet wouldn't even have been a gleam in your eye. You would not have been thinking, 'Oh, I have to tweet this immediately'. What you would have been thinking is more like, 'I wonder if I caught anything in those traps?' But life goes on.

After the disappointing performance of the Ground Hog last week – Phil's threatened us with six more weeks of winter – we figure we might as well enjoy indoor sport here in the northern hemisphere. Awix has another film, benjaminpmoore's been to an affair, and Amy's been talking to Baron Grim.

Down in the warmer part of the globe, Rod's still working away, and we're watching his project unfold. Willem's got news about a bird, and just about the oddest plant yet. It's an onion, and it's preggers.

The February Create Challenge is bearing fruit of the non-onion variety. Pebblederook starts us off. Have you done your bit for science and/or scifi yet? Get to work!

The Duck's being strange, if not beautiful. The Oddity reminds us to clean out the car boot. And, just in case you haven't explored enough, our Post quiz will test your knowledge of the first contact situation. That's almost science fiction, though we're talking about historical first contacts…

So read, and talk to the contributors. Enjoy your week, and may the rain stay out of your way.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THE BEAUTIFUL AND THE STRANGE
  • Cedar waxwing by Willem
  • .

  • Pregnant onion.


THE STRANGELY BEAUTIFUL

THE REALLY STRANGE

  • Reading sighting.
  • Samurai duck.

STRANGE MEETINGS

THE CALL OF THE WILD
  • Conestoga wagon.
  • Let me out of here.
  • .

FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87817341

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more