The h2g2 Literary Corner: Descending the Riffelberg, by Mark Twain

0 Conversations

At h2g2, one of our ancestors, at least in the writing department, is American humorist Mark Twain. Like us, Twain was fascinated by life, the universe, and everything.

Back in 1880, Twain published a book called A Tramp Abroad, a wild travel account of his 'walking trip' across Europe. (He took the train a lot.) In this excerpt, Twain and his friends make a perilous journey up the Riffelberg. According to Twain, it was a major expedition involving mules and nitroglycerin. According to Baedeker's guidebook, it's a short walk to a railway station and hotel.

Twain and his friends managed to get there, but then they had to get back down. We'll let him tell it.

Descending the Riffelberg

Puzzling over the Riffelberg in 1880.

A guide-book is a queer thing. The reader has just seen what a man who undertakes the great ascent from Zermatt to the Riffelberg Hotel must experience. Yet Baedeker makes these strange statements concerning this matter:

  1. Distance – 3 hours.
  2. The road cannot be mistaken.
  3. Guide unnecessary.
  4. Distance from Riffelberg Hotel to the Gorner Grat, one hour and a half.
  5. Ascent simple and easy. Guide unnecessary.
  6. Elevation of Zermatt above sea-level, 5,315 feet.
  7. Elevation of Riffelberg Hotel above sea-level, 8,429 feet.
  8. Elevation of the Gorner Grat above sea-level, 10,289 feet.

I have pretty effectually throttled these errors by sending him the following demonstrated facts:

  1. Distance from Zermatt to Riffelberg Hotel, 7 days.
  2. The road CAN be mistaken. If I am the first that did it, I want the credit of it, too.
  3. Guides ARE necessary, for none but a native can read those finger-boards.
  4. The estimate of the elevation of the several localities above sea-level is pretty correct – for Baedeker. He only misses it about a hundred and eighty or ninety thousand feet.

I found my arnica invaluable. My men were suffering excruciatingly, from the friction of sitting down so much. During two or three days, not one of them was able to do more than lie down or walk about; yet so effective was the arnica, that on the fourth all were able to sit up. I consider that, more than to anything else, I owe the success of our great undertaking to arnica and paregoric.

smiley - drumrollsmiley - drumrollsmiley - drumrollsmiley - drumrollsmiley - drumroll

Presently Baedeker was found again, and I hunted eagerly for the time-table. There was none. The book simply said the glacier was moving all the time. This was satisfactory, so I shut up the book and chose a good position to view the scenery as we passed along. I stood there some time enjoying the trip, but at last it occurred to me that we did not seem to be gaining any on the scenery. I said to myself, "This confounded old thing's aground again, sure," – and opened Baedeker to see if I could run across any remedy for these annoying interruptions. I soon found a sentence which threw a dazzling light upon the matter. It said, "The Gorner Glacier travels at an average rate of a little less than an inch a day." I have seldom felt so outraged. I have seldom had my confidence so wantonly betrayed. I made a small calculation: One inch a day, say thirty feet a year; estimated distance to Zermatt, three and one-eighteenth miles. Time required to go by glacier, A LITTLE OVER FIVE HUNDRED YEARS! I said to myself, "I can WALK it quicker – and before I will patronize such a fraud as this, I will do it."

When I revealed to Harris the fact that the passenger part of this glacier – the central part – the lightning-express part, so to speak – was not due in Zermatt till the summer of 2378, and that the baggage, coming along the slow edge, would not arrive until some generations later, he burst out with:

"That is European management, all over! An inch a day – think of that! Five hundred years to go a trifle over three miles! But I am not a bit surprised. It's a Catholic glacier. You can tell by the look of it. And the management."

I said, no, I believed nothing but the extreme end of it was in a Catholic canton.

"Well, then, it's a government glacier," said Harris. "It's all the same. Over here the government runs everything – so everything's slow; slow, and ill-managed. But with us, everything's done by private enterprise – and then there ain't much lolling around, you can depend on it. I wish Tom Scott could get his hands on this torpid old slab once – you'd see it take a different gait from this."

I said I was sure he would increase the speed, if there was trade enough to justify it.

"He'd MAKE trade," said Harris. "That's the difference between governments and individuals. Governments don't care, individuals do. Tom Scott would take all the trade; in two years Gorner stock would go to two hundred, and inside of two more you would see all the other glaciers under the hammer for taxes." After a reflective pause, Harris added, "A little less than an inch a day; a little less than an INCH, mind you. Well, I'm losing my reverence for glaciers."

I was feeling much the same way myself. I have traveled by canal-boat, ox-wagon, raft, and by the Ephesus and Smyrna railway; but when it comes down to good solid honest slow motion, I bet my money on the glacier. As a means of passenger transportation, I consider the glacier a failure; but as a vehicle of slow freight, I think she fills the bill. In the matter of putting the fine shades on that line of business, I judge she could teach the Germans something.

Do you have a h2g2 travel story to tell? Or did your ancestors do something even more outrageous than Mark Twain? Tell us about it.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.04.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87870649

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more