The h2g2 Post 18.04.16

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 18th April 2016

Playful

A glass seahorse. Isn't that pretty? Your Editor found it over at the Library of Congress, for which we thank them. It's Steuben glass. In case you don't know, that's pronounced 'stew-BEN', don't ask me why, since presumably the glass is named for Baron von Steuben. Life's full of mysteries like that. The pretty seahorse glass is there to remind us that Cactuscafé has a cool story about glass horses in this issue. It's part of April's Create challenge, which is to spill the beans on your nuttiest progenitors. CC will tell you about her grandmother and her friends, who include Nigel's Aunt Bunty. (Well, Nigel's aunt was inspired by CC's tales, so they're sort of related.) You'll enjoy this one, and you'll also get a huge kick out of Icy North's fantastic family stories of 'industrial endings'. [What is an Eccles cake, anyway, and why is it lethal?] I weigh in with some of Davy Crockett's contemporaries (and neighbours), so we're pretty much all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and classes.

Do you have some funny ancestors you haven't told us about yet? Send in your anecdotes! If we can admit to these relationships, you have nothing to fear.

Between the lousy weather and US presidential campaign, the news has been boring lately. Never fear: the h2g2 Post is here to entertain you, with fascinating stories, amazing pictures, and humour that will make you forget how annoyed you are at the rain/snow/idiot politician. Caption that photo. Mull over the quiz. Let Awix and the Ninja Reviewer help you decide on your next cinema experience. Sneak a peek at the cartoons when the boss isn't looking.

Remember: you're part of this writing team, too. Send us Stuff! We want photos, ancestor tales, and your book, gamer, television, or film reviews. Or surprise us.

And have a good week, y'all!

Weather Update: The sun is shining. It's going up to 80° F! We cautiously aver that spring might actually be here. Get out and enjoy it – and send pics!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

ANGRY BIRDS AND WONDERING KITTIES
  • Sparrow weaver by Willem.
  • A grey kitten greets the world.

FREECELL AND THE ART OF WASTING TIME

(OTHER)WORLD OF WARCRAFT

  • Early blacklight show.
  • Mark Twain prepares to descend the Riffelberg.

SECOND (OR THIRD, OR FOURTH) LIFE
DIY MMORPGs (MAKE YOUR OWN)
  • Create April Challenge.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87866428

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more