The h2g2 Post 08.08.16

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 8th August 2016

Free Time Activities

A spiffy hat the Editor made during downtime. Ah, August. The month when you combat hot weather with ice cream and lemonade. When you spend two hours at the pool and change colour. (Fire Engine Red is not a good shade for us.) When you sit on the porch and work on your knitting...

Oh, stop complaining. We don't run that many knitting articles. We do? Well, at least I didn't mention the Isle of Wight at the same time…Okay, on to better topics.

Our contributors have been doing a lot of useful things with their copious free time, and other than the Editor, not one of them has mentioned knitting. Willem won a badge for bird spotting. We're impressed. We're doubly impressed by this colourful bird. Read and learn.

Awix is impressively cinematic, as always, with the latest in the thrilling Bourne saga. The birds in our garden have been giving us a riveting show by mobbing the bird feeder: the chipmunk's polite about it. The grey squirrel? Not so much. But we think we have him stymied this time. Stay tuned.

A guest photographer from over at the Hoggett farm pointed her camera skyward and captured a truly breathtaking sunset. Admire, make a t-shirt, send us your weather photos. We think Kitkat's pretty zen.

Freewayriding? Well, he's working on it. We have another report from his Spain trip. This one doesn't have UFOs. Instead, it has noisy kids. Weigh in on the h2g2 Rant. (By the way, send us your rants, we love 'em. Y'all are the pleasantest, most perspicacious ranters in the blogosphere.)

Once FWR has taught you to be zen at the poolside, we'll let our Literary Corner guest tell you how to be zen at the kids at home. Apparently, it is possible to improve the little darlings' characters by thinking at them. Who knew? This information should be of vital interest to parents and educators everywhere.

As usual, we have snark. We have humour. We even have snarky humour, what a concept. We've got a quiz that should make those eureka lightbulbs go off in your heads. But hey, don't stress. It's August, and you should only do what relaxes you. Like loom knitting… (Only kidding, don't throw things.)

We hope you enjoy the issue, and your week. Take care, and if you go outside, remember your sunscreen and hat!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

BIRD BRAINS
(Smarter than the average human.)
  • Black-fronted Shrike by Willem.
  • The new bird feeder. The squirrel ate the other one.

THINKING-TYPE PERSONS
(At least, most of the time.)

COOL FROODS
(You could keep a side of meat in them for a month.)

  • Sunset at the farm by Kitkat.
  • Fun in the sun.

THE RICH, CLEVER, AND FAMOUS
(Okay, but two out of three ain't bad.)
LITERATI
(And you can be one, too.)
  • Create August Challenge.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87873998

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more