The h2g2 Post: 23.04.18

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 23rd April 2018

Celebrating Will

William ShakespeareSee that fella? You probably know him. The staple author of Great Books courses everywhere in the English-speaking world. William Shakespeare, aka the Bard, the Sweet Swan of Avon, or possibly 'somebody else in disguise.'

We won't open that can of worms this week, promise. Instead, we'll celebrate the cultural significance of England's most influential historical literary figure – whoever he (or she) may have been – with all due pomp, ceremony, and high-minded solemnity.


Just kidding.


We've got Shakespeare quotes, Shakespeare snark, a Shakespeare music video, and Shakespeare cartoons. Enjoy.

We also have the usual panoply of non-Shakespeare-related items, which we will now enumerate.

  • Awix is back at the cinema. This time, he's terrorising mothers by recommending monster movies to little kids. You're sure to enjoy the latest silver screen adventure. Get plenty of popcorn.
  • Willem makes you smarter. You can now drop the name 'yellowfronted tinkerbird' into casual conversation, and back it up with real knowledge. Besides, that bird is way cute.
  • We have humour. Yes, that's what it is. If you don't recognise it, speak to your physician about changing your meds. Warning: these jokes were road-tested by professionals on a closed track. Do not attempt at home.
  • SashaQ has a caption challenge for you: what does the mysterious glove symbolise?
  • Derek Jacobi and friend
  • It being Shakespeare Week, we not only have Shakespeare snark and Shakespeare jokes – and Shakespeare quizzes to test your mettle – but we also have a Tale from Shakespeare, with suitable commentary. Read along as we name and shame King Henry V as a sexual harasser, and prepare to ace your literature exam. Cliff Notes has nothing on us.
  • Henry V went to France, and so did bobstafford. Bob brought back a better picture.
  • We have whimsical photos, and the Obligatory Cats, along with a must-have cat requisite that explains why aliens are hanging around the Post Office these days. Share and enjoy.
  • SashaQ has acquired another rabbit. See? We aren't all about kitties. We have a song for Sasha.
  • This week also features the hair-raising conclusion to FWR's vampire saga. Find out how Twice Bitten ends, and book your tickets for the movie premiere.
  • Want to take better photos? For those of you who have graduated from the 'pointing the mobile with eyes closed' school, bobstafford has some tips about lenses on real cameras.
  • We also have videos. One involves Shakespeare and one doesn't.

St George's Day and Shakespeare's Birthday
Fun trivia fact: Miguel de Cervantes and Shakespeare died on the same day, only they didn't. Explain.


Simple. The English wouldn't use the modern calendar because it was a Communist….er, Popish conspiracy to deprive them of a couple of perfectly good weeks. We like silly factoids like that, as long as you don't ask us to explain that calendar change. We'll let Ben Franklin do it.

Anyway, read, enjoy, send more copy! Remember, you've still got another week to showcase your Favourite Places. Write, draw, make a video, take a picture! It's all good.

And have a good week out there!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

SEE THE SIGHTS

WATCH AND LEARN

LOOK AND LISTEN


MARVEL
FEATURED WRITING
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87905703

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more