A Sprightly Dance

1 Conversation

A Sprightly Dance

This week, the Literary Corner goes musical. Here's a page from the 1709 edition of John Playford's The Dancing Master, a song-and-dance manual that ran into multiple editions in the 17th and 18th centuries. You will look in vain for instructions on the Charleston or Boogaloo, but you can find out how to dance the Roger de Coverley, and the tune and dance for Henry VIII's 'Green Sleeves and Pudding Pies' in in there. Also 'Lillibulero'. Pretty cool.

The 29th of May

I had trouble finding this tune for a couple of reasons. For one thing, all my sources insisted that it was called 'Royal Oak'. I clicked through every single page of the book three times (OCR search doesn't work in the 18th Century) before I found out it was also called 'the 29th of May'. It would have been a snap if I'd known my history better: the 29th of May was the day of the Restoration of Charles II (of blessed memory).

The musicologists insist that this tune is also used for 'All Things Bright and Beautiful'. I can sort of hear it if I squint my ears. I must be too easily distracted by rhythm and ornamentation. Here's the version I started with: a modern arrangement by Michael Helman, called 'Rondeau on "Royal Oak"'. Warning: cute bunny alert.

It's nice to know that old tunes never die.


The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.11.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87922326

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more