The h2g2 Post: 24.06.19

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 24th June 2019

Midsummer Slapstick Edition

Mrs Hoggett's rainbow

Look, look, look for the rainbow,
Far, far away from the funnel cloud...

As the songwriter did not say. But as the Post Editor said when Mrs Hoggett's rainbow photo arrived in the mailbox. This was a relief, because the night before, the tornado siren had gone off in town. They're proud of that tornado siren, which gives the Editor, who grew up during the duck-and-cover era, an attack of PTSD. A tornado did touch down in a small community some miles away. In a swirl-by attack, it uprooted trees, tore roof slates from a house built in 1824, destroyed a gazebo, and did miscellaneous other mischief. Fortunately, it then decided to go elsewhere, and left Hoggetts alone. Instead, Mrs H got this rainbow. We're grateful, and appreciate the beauty. Tornadoes are an encounter with nature too far.

Caiman Raptor Elk saw something much nicer than a tornado. Go and admire his photo, in brilliant colour.

Minorvogonpoet encountered some startling nature in France recently. She's still reeling from the tantalising discovery about…well, the flowers and the bees. We'll let her show and tell.

Willem, who's always encountering nature, has a lemur to show you. Go learn something. You'll be glad you did.

This month's challenge will soon be replaced by an even sillier one, but rest assured: you will continue to encounter nature. (It's harder to miss than those begging calls from the Democrats.) When you do, send us the photos. Anytime.

Now, onto other Urgent Business before this august assemblage:
I refer, of course, to the Pun Overproduction Crisis.
Last Week:

Core Team Member Who Shall Remain Nameless: 'That's a terrible joke in BB's comic.'

Post Editor: 'I warned you.'

CTMWSHRN: 'You did. But I couldn't imagine how bad it was!'


In view of the ongoing glut of puns in this magazine, the Editor has decided to capitulate to the madness. Therefore, this week, the Post will feature – along with even more excruciating puns by Bluebottle, Paigetheoracle, and others – the Post 'If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em' Quiz. Which will feature puzzles like this:
A pune

Enjoy, as Amy P says.

The Black-and-White Challenge continues unabated. In fact, instead of abating, it's taking over the Post. In addition to a fresh crop of arty photos to be analysed, critiqued, and discussed, there's a special entry devoted to the photos and altered images inspired by last week's challenge photos. I tell you, it's a veritable whirlwind of creativity around here. You are particularly going to enjoy the takeoffs on Cactuscafé's 'A Nice Scene from the Countryside', which range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Does all this photography have you reaching for your camera or mobile? Please feel free to join in. Just set your photo device to black-and-white or 'greyscale', or greyscale your photo of choice on your computer. Not sure how? Drop us a line at the Post. We'll work something out. We're learning a lot about black-and-white photography here. Also about mashed potatoes.

There's more Stuff in here than I can describe. Awix will be by with cinema of the bewildering sort. I drone on about writing some more. Paulh says it isn't useless advice: it's stimulating the brain so as to help fight off senility in senior writers. Ah, I knew I was doing it for something.

Read, share, comment, send more Stuff. And have a great week!

Quote of the Week:
At three cents a word, every time I say 'Bang' in the story I get three cents. If you think I'm going to finish the gun battle while my hero still has fifteen cents' worth of unexploded ammunition in his gun, you're nuts.

Erle Stanley Gardner



Create June 2019 by Freewayriding
June Create Challenge:
Encounters with Nature


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THE BEAUTY AND HORROR OF NATURE

YOU ASKED FOR IT


BLACK-AND-WHITE AND...

...BLACK-AND-WHITE AND...
MORE BAD PUNS, OR NOT
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE IN A COMIC


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87937465

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more