Merry Hoovermas!

1 Conversation

Merry Hoovermas!

Wlad the Organ Player by DG

It all started with that madcap NaJoPoMo venture '30 Hours in Hooverville'. I'd sort of envisioned it as h2g2's answer to Ulysses. I expected it to be full of low-key scenes, intense stream-of-consciousness monologuing, and gradually unfolding of character.

Freewayriding envisioned it as a tale of love, kidnapping, and motorbikes. The rest of them just went crazy.

As part of a somewhat Joycean tour of this (totally imaginary, honest!) town hidden in western Pennsylvania, my character, a musician named Wladislaw Winzekowski, in addition to inventing a new musical genre, composes some hymns for the First Church of Nighthoover. One is for Hoovermas. Here are the lyrics, which we hope that 2legs in particular will enjoy.

Happy Hoovermas, and may the golden roombas fly your way, bringing peace, joy, and improved floor cleanliness!'


Whence is that goodly suction coming,

Sweeping our sorrows all away?

Ne'er have we heard such glorious humming,

Ridding the world of its decay.

Whence is that goodly suction coming,

Sweeping our sorrows all away?


What is that light so cheerily blinking

Here in the night across our eyes?

Never so bright, the Hoover winking

Cleansing the clouds, till clear the skies!

What is that light so cheerily blinking

Here in the night across our eyes?


Hooverville! On your streets you will find him,

If in your hearts the currents flow,

Out with the grime! Let cleanliness prosper!

In with the new, let old things go.

Hooverville! On your streets you will find him,

Plug in the hoover, and lettuce spray!
Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.12.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87957788

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more