Christmas Crossword 2019: Answers

0 Conversations

Now for the Answers to the Annual

Christmas Crossword

Christmas Crossword 2019

Across

  • 1) Father Christmas gives bloomin' presents to good girls and boys (6,9)
  • 12) The BBC is the proper television corporation famed for Doctor Who (3)
  • 15) Rudolph has to do Run twice or Run, Run when Santa's gotta make it to town. (3)
  • 18) When a Bell rings an angel gets his wings. (4)
  • 19) On the First Day of Christmas my true love gave to me.
  • 20) Herod the Great, Client King of Judea at the time of Jesus' birth. Also the name of at least four of his sons, including ones he didn't murder. (5)
  • 22) 1978 Christmas #1: Boney M 'Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord' (2)
  • 23) The most financially successful Christmas film is Home Alone (5)
  • 24) Dec is the Ant-friendly abbreviation for the twelfth month of the year. (3)
  • 26) Boxing Day is the 26th December and also called the Feast of Stephen. (6,3)
  • 28) Donner is the reindeer often mistaken for a kebab. (6)
  • 30) Icing is found on Christmas cakes. (5)
  • 32) Once in Royal David's city, also Royal Icing is found on Christmas Cakes. (5)
  • 34) The first Noel the angels did say. (4)
  • 37) There was no room at the Inn. (3)
  • 38) Winifred Atwell was Christmas #1 in 1954 with 'Let's Have Another Party' and Saint Winifred's school choir was 1980 Christmas #1 with 'Grandma'. (8)
  • 40) We're walking in the Air. (3)
  • 41) Mary's cousin Elizabeth's husband was Zechariah, John the Baptist's dad. (9)
  • 44) A Note is a Musical sound, a quick Note is often written in Christmas cards (4)
  • 46) Rudolph the reindeer had a red, shiny, glowing Nose. (4)
  • 48) People eat too much Food at Christmas.
  • 51) 'Only You', 1983 Christmas no 1 for The Flying Pickets. (4)
  • 53) Father Christmas sits on a Chair when children sit on him. (4)
  • 54) Father Christmas lives at the North Pole. (5,4)
  • 56) In other words IE (2)
  • 57) Polygamous Herod had ten wives. Multiple wives may live in a Harem (5)
  • 59) Inuit person living in the Arctic Circle may be an Eskimo. (6)
  • 63) Mary is the name of both Jesus' mother and the woman in the lingerie department in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. (4)
  • 64) Reins are horse and reindeer harness. (5)
  • 66) 'Christmas at Sea' is an 1888 poem by Robert Louis Stevenson. (3)
  • 67) The NYPD Choir is mentioned in 'The Fairy Tale of New York'. (4)
  • 68) Magi is another name for Wise Men or Three Kings. (4)
  • 69) Wenceslas was Duke of Bohemia murdered by his brother in 935, posthumously promoted to king by the Holy Roman Emperor a few years later. (9)
  • 72) Snow is wet white fluffy stuff. (4)
  • 75) Oh no it isn't. Oh Yes It Is (2,3,2,2)
  • 80) Every time a Bell rings, an angels gets his Wings, Paul McCartney's band who sang 'Mull of Kintyre', 1977's Christmas #1. (5)
  • 82) Eric Morecombe Comedian with Ernie Wise. (4,9)
  • 83) Hook is a Pirate used to hang up stockings. (4)

Down

  • 1) Frankincense is a Gift given to the baby Jesus along with Gold and Myrrh. (12)
  • 2) We'll tak' a cup of kindness yet for the sake of Auld Lang Syne (4,4,4)
  • 3) Ebenezer Scrooge. (8)
  • 4) Rudolph's nose is Red. (3)
  • 5) Father Ted was given a Golden Cleric award. (6)
  • 6) A Robin is a bird often pictured on Christmas cards; a round Robin is a type of letter. (5)
  • 7) Greg Lake believed In Father Christmas. (2)
  • 8) Six geese-a-laying. (3)
  • 9) People who eat too much at Christmas aren't Thin. (4)
  • 10) The Three Kings are also known as Wise Men (3)
  • 11) In Good King Wenceslas, Heat was in the very Sod? (3)
  • 13) Harry Belafonte was 1957 Christmas #1 with 'Mary's Boy Child'. (3)
  • 14) Childermass is 28th December, the day when it was traditionally good luck to beat children with a stick to remind them of the children killed by Herod. (11)
  • 16) There was No room in the inn. (2)
  • 17) Bing Crosby first sang 'White Christmas' in Holiday Inn? (3)
  • 21) The 25th December is Christmas Day. (3)
  • 25) In the meadow we Can build a snowman and pretend that he is Parson Brown. (3)
  • 27) The Grinch is Dr Seuss' green and hairy creature who dislikes Christmas. (6)
  • 29) Sage and Onion stuffing. (5)
  • 31) Carol is a girl's name sung at Christmas. (5)
  • 33) I'm dreaming Of a white Christmas. (2)
  • 35) It's Now Or Never' was 1960's Christmas #2 by Elvis (2)
  • 36) Wherefore have ye Left your sheep On the lonely mountain steep? (4)
  • 38) Christmas time, Mistletoe and Wine. (4)
  • 39) Roars are animal noise fireplaces make. (5)
  • 42) Ho is Father Christmas's favourite word; he often says it thrice. (2)
  • 43) 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial are both about an Alien (5)
  • 45) A Tie is a colourful noose given to men at Christmas, no-one knows why. (3)
  • 47) And So this is Christmas and what have you done? (2)
  • 49) The Teletubbies' 1997 Christmas #2 hit was 'Say Eh-Oh' (2)
  • 50) Herod's first wife was called Doris and Doris Day is particularly revered by the LGBTQ+ community1. (5)
  • 52) God rest Ye merry gentlemen. (2)
  • 55) A Page is a piece of paper; Page and monarch forth they went together (4)
  • 58) Ox and Ass before him bow. (3)
  • 60) KP is the UK's largest producer of peanuts. (2)
  • 61) An ID card proves that you are old enough to buy alcohol. (2)
  • 62) 1978 Christmas #1: Boney M 'Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord' (2)
  • 63) I in my kerchief and Ma in her cap had just settled down to a long winter's nap. (2)
  • 64) RE Abbreviation for Religious Education. (2)
  • 65) The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl sang 'Fairytale of New York' (3)
  • 70) cs Lewis wrote The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. (2).
  • 71) Long time Ago in Bethlehem so the Holy Bible say. (3)
  • 73) He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty Or nice. (2)
  • 74) The WI is an institute for women dedicated, among other things, to making a lot of Christmas cakes. (2)
  • 76) HM the Queen makes a speech each year, also HM is the initials of 'Hoots Mon', Lord Rockingham's XI song that contains the lyric 'there's a moose, loose, aboot this hoose'. (2)
  • 77) Yo is the word used in Santa Claus: The Movie to make reindeers go. (2)
  • 78) 1963's Christmas #1 was 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' by the Beatles (2)
  • 79) I'm dreaming of a White Christmas. (2)
  • 81) St Winifred's School Choir sang 'There's No one quite like Grandma' (2)

Please note: all songs and Christmas chart positions are based on Britain's national chart.

A reader of the h2g2 Post
Competitions and Quizzes Archive
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

30.12.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Following the legalisation of gay marriage the use of Doris Day song 'Secret Love' in civil ceremonies skyrocketed - how more revered can you get?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87961738

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more