The h2g2 Post: 10.08.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 10th August 2020

Bugs'n'Slugs Issue

Frog by SashaQ
Where'er he dwells, he dwells alone,

Except himself has chattels none,

Well satisfied to be his own

                     Whole treasure.


'The Snail', William Cowper


I told the Core Team I was going to do this, after they phonedumped me all the slug and snail photos. 'You just wait,' I said. 'We're going to have a grand bugs-'n'-slugs issue.' And we are. It's all part of our observational exercise called 'Nature Takes a Break'. With people running around less, there's more room for plants and animals, from the tiniest to the biggest. As frustrating, saddening, and worrisome as the current crisis is, staying out of the way of nature's self-healing is a helpful byproduct.

The ancient Mosaic law prescribed such breaks from human activity and intense land use. They were called 'jubilee years'. There's a poem in this issue, called 'Jubilee'. Now you know why.

Besides our unusual photography, we've got lots to show you this week. Come and see:
Slug by SashaQ
  • Birds: Willem shows us a pelican. The birds in the Post Office backyard voice their displeasure. A bird with attitude struts his stuff.
  • Cats: They're sleeping. They invite snark.
  • Bugs: That stag beetle's boyfriend is here, and he's mad. A dung beetle shows off, as do the lightning bugs of Pennsylvania.
  • Slugs (and snails): With and without houses, these guys are kind of amazing.
  • Occasional Human Activity: Paigetheoracle found a time machine in a Scottish display window.
  • Fiction: Don't miss the exciting conclusion to Reefgirl's serial. 'It's in the Cards' that you'll enjoy it.
  • Music: Well, sort of. Freewayriding's sideways antihero, the indescribable Henry Letterbox, is now a rock god. Yes, there's a story. Worse, there's video.
  • Awix has boldly ventured into the cinema. Find out what he saw there.
  • Humour and things to caption and things to guess at. Ongoing stories, and a feature that says farewell. Check it all out.
Send us your Stuff! You may inspire a theme issue. And have a good week!




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:   'Just a come-on from the horse

On Seventh Avenue...


Mondegreen seen on Twitter (with drawing of horse)

Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
August Create Challenge:
Nature Gets a Break



And Now, a Shameless Plug
for our FABULOUS MERCH!
Post logo t-shirt
T-shirts! Buttons! Tote Bags!
TOWELS!!!
No, we don't get all the money. We get about 5 bucks/euros for each t-shirt. But you're supporting the cause and getting wearable bragging rights. You'll be the envy of every hitchhiker from here to the Crab Nebula. Designed by Tavaron da Quirm.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

GROWING TRENDS
Great White Pelican

Great White Pelican by Willem

THOUGHT PIECES

BUGS'N'SLUGS

Meeting Notes

Slugs Meeting by SashaQ


WORTH A COMMENT




Letterbox Rox!
Flaming' Crumpet by FWR
FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES

PRIME TIME STUFF


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989125

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more