The h2g2 Post 22.05.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 22nd May 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue: the African Dusky Flycatcher, some kittens, a bright parrot, blackbird chicks in a nest, and a bee on a yellow flower, with the title Making New Friends.

I'm told the AI makes nice arrangements (if I fuss at it enough), so the AI did these – and then I fiddled a lot. Call it a collaboration between Gheorgheni and the robot. Anyway, the main reason that it looks good is because of our photographers, who take really interesting pictures for us to look at and learn from.

This week, FWR has been exploring on Gran Canaria. He looked. The parrot looked back. It's all good Stuff. Paigetheoracle observed coastal flooding. Tavaron saw many things in her amazing garden: bees, a slow worm, a grass frog. Also, the blackbirds hatched in her nesting box. This issue is a treasure trove of natural things to see.

Everybody's finding signs. We have no clue what the cat and the straw is about. Caiman found a message from beyond the grave. Mrs Hoggett's kittens can't read, but they still like the doughnut.

Bluebottle took a magical ride aboard Charles III. I had fun with some bumblebees. Paige found out where the pipe band was rehearsing. We have photos and video.

We've also got features and humour and fiction. Check out these stories, y'all: they're pretty good. Leave comments, share on your social media, send more Stuff. Also please check out the Create challenge for this month: it will be the last one in the Post for a while because I forgot to uncover it and nobody told me for two whole weeks. So as of next week there will be a different kind of challenge for you. (See what you get when you don't cooperate.)

A milestone has been reached by Awix in the 24 Lies a Second column. Believe it or not, this is his 800th film review. I suppose I might possibly have seen 800 films in my life, since I'm older than the proverbial dirt, but I certainly have never even talked about that many, let alone as knowledgeably as our film critic. So congratulations to Awix. You'll want to drop in, enjoy the review of three new films, and wish our columnist many happy returns.

Have a good week, hopefully with some sunshine and fun, and don't forget your sunscreen (that goes for you, too, Willem!)


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: I was watching a movie, and a guy crossed a creek, and when he got to the other side, the creek was running the other way.

I was confused, the fish were confused, the trees were confused - everybody was confused..


– Scott Olling, Twitter
Clock face from inside, by Carol M Highsmith.


May 2023 Create Challenge:
When Time Stood Still


Video Extra:
Five Baby Blackbirds
Click here in Ripley


AMONG THE LEAVES
Dusky Flycatcher

African Dusky Flycatcher, by Willem.

IN OUR HEADS


AROUND THE CORNER...


Lavender and Bumblebees
(Video)

Bee closeup by DG.


SIGNS OF THE TIMES




Friendly Local
Multi-coloure parrot in a bar, by FWR.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Video
  • Practice makes perfect.

SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88021604

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more