It's a Sign: A Bridge Too Far

1 Conversation

It's a Sign: A Bridge Too Far

Bridge and sign by Bluebottle

Outside Wool in Dorset is this bridge, which contains a notice from the early 19th Century warning that anyone who damages the bridge will be Transported. Between 1654 and the outbreak of the American War of Independence in 1785, convicts were sent to America to work instead of being executed, with Transportation to Australia then taking place from 1787 to 1868. Sentences were typically for 7 or 14 years, or for life – if the convict was found to have returned to Britain during that time, they would be tried and, if found guilty, executed.

Would this approach solve the problem of The Unending Appetite of the Canopener Bridge: A Trucker Tale?

It turns out that the bridge at Wool dates back at least to 1244, though the current bridge is Elizabethan, the bridge was mentioned in Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Presumably this association with the novel damaged the bridge, as the works of Hardy have since been Transported to both America and Australia.

Nelson's last words were, of course, 'Kiss me, Hardy', to which Hardy muttered the immortal reply,

Another fine mess you've gotten me into.
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

21.08.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88035041

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more