The Sea of Grass: Prologue

1 Conversation

The Sea of Grass

Book cover with dried grasses.

Prologue


For a long time there was only darkness. Darkness and cold inside and out, and movement. It was very fast and still, it hardly seemed to make any progress just like it was very big and still very tiny in the grand scheme of things. There was also a faint humming coming from inside but nobody was there to take any notice. Every now and then a little light went on and off again. Numbers were noted, records were written but they did not show up on a screen. Nobody was there to see them. Sometimes something went wrong. Sometimes something which was barely alive was not alive anymore. A little light went off. The journey continued. At certain intervals a little object was released from a hatch into the great nothingness. It made a connection. It waited. Data was received. Nobody read it. It was left behind to wait until it was needed. Things moved on. Away.


And then, after a very long time which was still just like the blink of an eye the movement stopped. There was a large light in the darkness outside and the cold was a little less cold. More little lights were blinking inside. Data was sent along the long way back. Probes were sent ahead. Numbers were analysed and checked automatically. The expected parameters were met. The process was started as predetermined. Data was checked. Decisions were made accordingly.


Things got in motion. There was no stopping it now. The cold was not as cold anymore and there was a stirring here and there. Those who were meant to be the first ones slowly woke from their long sleep in their icy beds. The lights went on. Those who could went to work. Files were read. Assessments were made. Reports were written. Meetings were held. Choices had to be made.

Post 2024 Writing Project Archive

Tavaron

15.01.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88042881

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more