Websailor's Whacky World Of Wildlife

1 Conversation

The Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World logo

A quirky look at wildlife. To be taken with a pinch of salt, but with more than a
grain of truth!

The Age of Innocence is Gone...


Sitting in the Dentist's waiting room the other day (I was early) I was watching a well maintained aquarium full of tropical fish, which was most soothing to the nerves, and I remembered my own fishy hobby from 'umpty tiddle' years ago!


I found my mind wandering as I drifted back in time...


I had just come through a very traumatic period in my life and had been relaxing in front of a friend's aquarium. At the time I couldn't even face TV or people so this was a breakthrough. As a result I was given a tank and some fish 'to take my mind off things', not knowing I would become addicted.


A tank full of beautiful tropical fish, all sizes, patterns and colours, swimming gracefully around, all with their own personalities and traits, was an absorbing hobby and I soon started breeding (or rather they did!). From just one tank I ended up with eight. Guppies (Central America), Swordtails (Central America), Neon Tetras (Peru), Angel Fish (Amazon), Mollies - Sailfin Black (South USA), Gouramis (SE Asia - Thailand and Java) and Tiger Barbs (Indonesia and Borneo) and many more. All these beautiful fish with wonderful names originated from exotic places which were just pins on a map to me then. It didn't occur to me that they might be taken from the wild.


Sitting up all night waiting for a Black Molly to produce, so I could remove her before she ate the babies! Watching other fish nipping fins, eating eggs and fighting were all in a day's work. I think the Black Molly was my favourite, like pure black velvet. Such fun. Keeping the tank clean, etc, was a time consuming job and one I thoroughly enjoyed until we had a spate of power cuts - this was in the 70s. The loss of light meant a loss of colour and condition in the fish and eventually death from lack of light and heat. Some cuts came without warning and there was nothing I could do.


I was very upset and decided that perhaps keeping such beautiful creatures in captivity was not a good idea. The innocence has gone now that I realise that the tropical Fish trade is depleting fish stocks in the South Pacific, America and other areas. I know that large commercial Aquariums stock direct from the wild (it's cheaper) and although traders will insist that all stocks are captive bred, many, many fish are taken from the wild. I now know that if you are beginning a new hobby as a tropical fish keeper, you should research it as much as possible and always buy from an expert Aquarist not a pet shop or market stall. Your fish are likely to flourish and live longer and, in the long run, are likely to be less expensive.


In recent years moves have been made to halt the destruction of live coral, which often involves dynamite and cyanide, and 'over-harvesting' of tropical fish for the aquarium trade. For example in the last few years areas of the South Pacific have been given protection and recently Fiji has declared its Great Sea Reef a 'community managed protected area' with the intention of eventually protecting 30% of its marine environment.


That innocence was there in my early childhood, too, when many children were encouraged to catch, gas and pin Butterflies and Moths for display. Risking any conservation credentials I may have acquired in later years, I admit to doing just that! I comfort myself that I am in good company. Many well-known conservationists started life doing things they now despise.


I remember vividly the Red Admiral, the Large Tortoiseshell, Small Tortoiseshell, the Peacock and Comma and many other Butterflies. The Moths were stunning too - the Garden Tiger, the Red Underling, the Cinnabar, the Magpie, the Scarlet Tiger, the Buff and White Ermines and my prize catch - so weird and wonderful, the Elephant Hawk Moth. Ask children about any of these butterflies or moths today and most will look blank. Such a shame.


You ask what is the use of butterflies?

I reply, to adorn the world and delight the eyes of men;

To brighten the countryside like golden jewels

To contemplate their exquisite beauty and variety

Is to experience the truest pleasure.


- John Ray, Naturalist - not very politically correct in those days but the meaning is clear!


As an only child of 'Victorian' parents I spent a great many hours alone in the garden with only the wildlife for company. Catching Butterflies and Moths, which were at that time plentiful, seemed such an exciting thing to do, especially catching moths in the dark! It's true I learned a lot, getting up close and personal. However, after a while, I found I could not gas and pin. The use of cyanide of potassium just seemed such a cruel way to kill these beautiful creatures, even though their lives were to be short-lived anyway.


Of course we now realise that British Butterfly and Moth numbers are falling, and many are already extinct. Nearly half of the remaining 55 species are teetering on the edge. I cannot imagine suggesting doing this as a hobby now, though many still do collect. I wouldn't think we had a part in the decline as many other factors are involved, but it is now frowned upon in some quarters, with photography mostly replacing collecting. However, we would have missed much if the collectors of old had not been so dedicated. I still have an encyclopaedia, which gives instructions on how to collect butterflies and moths and preserve them!


Likewise, little boys were encouraged to collect birds' eggs. Many a little boy, in short trousers, with grazed, muddy knees went home excitedly with eggs, and nests. Blowing the eggs and identifying them was a respectable pastime, with the added excitement of climbing trees. Egg collecting is now illegal and, indeed, breaking the law in possessing or selling illegally gained eggs or birds draws stiff penalties in the UK - a fine of up to £5,000, and/or six months' imprisonment. There are some exceptions.


However, it seems that some of those little boys have 'progressed'. Some collect eggs and/or endangered bird species, speeding the decline of many birds. Others catch wild birds to sell. It is known to most people that wild birds are caught in countries like Cyprus and Malta, using nets, lime sticks and decoys. It is not so well known that it happens here in the UK. Greenfinches, Chaffinches and Goldfinches are much prized and are being caught here, even in my own area, then sold off perhaps as captive bred birds, often abroad. Goldfinches are popular in particular for their colours and beautiful song. The trapping is on the increase, much of it happening in private gardens! The birds sell for £40 to £50 each!!


When Greenfinches, Bullfinches, Chaffinches and Goldfinches appear at McWebbie's Wildlife Diner I breathe a sigh of relief, but I do wonder just how long they will survive with such people around.


Even seashell collecting, an integral part of a seaside holiday for children, can cause considerable harm to the environment, especially those bought on an overseas holiday. Unsuspecting holidaymakers may find themselves facing confiscation or fines for bringing home a Queen Conch Shell or Giant Clam.


I find myself wishing we could go back to that age of innocence, but we cannot continue to plunder the natural world as we have done. For ivory, fur, feathers, skins, plants, trees, animals, birds and fish - the Earth would be a barren place without our wildlife and already we have paid a high price for our innocence.

...'Next patient please!'... 'Next patient PLEASE!!'

Oh, dear, it's my turn now - I had quite forgotten where I was! - would anyone collect my teeth do you think? - '21st century human (female) mammal teeth - obviously seen too many chocolates and sweets - age unknown!!'

Websailors Wacky Wildlife World Archive

Websailor

23.02.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A9613163

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more