The h2g2 Post 23.02.06

0 Conversations


Posted: 23rd February 2006


 

 


The Revolutions of 1848 and 2006


Yesterday, 22 February, was the anniversary of the beginning of the French Revolution of 1848. To give a bit of background, in 1847 the French government under King Louis Philippe outlawed political demonstrations. Instead, protesters held banquets, where they ate food and talked about politics instead. On 22 February, 1848, a large banquet was scheduled, but the government got nervous (as they often did at that time) and on the day before they outlawed banquets. In response, the hopeful banquet attendees built barricades in the working-class areas of the city and agitated for a republic. The national guard sided with the revolutionaries and the Second French Republic was formed. The rest is really quite literally history.

In any case, this becomes important because my modern European history class (being the rather crazy bunch that we are) decided to hold our very own commemorative banquet on 22 February. Though various ideas were thrown around, including bringing in a mattress with which to barricade the door and setting fire to the classroom, our banquet was a peaceful affair of food-eating and learning about World War I (that being the point at which we are in the curriculum).

So now I'm thinking, where has the revolutionary spirit of today's youth gone? Listen to the songs of earlier decades: everything from Bob Dylan's 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' to Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' presents a dissatisfaction with the status quo and a desire for change and revolution. Where has that sentiment gone? Today's students in California, once a relatively radical state (or so I'd like to think) are so staid that they will squelch their revolutionary spirit for some sugary food and a good grade.

Think about it. Yesterday was, after all, Thinking Day for Girl Scouts and Girl Guides all over the world. They're focusing on adolescent health issues this year, but whether or not you're a Scout or Guide you may want to utilise the day to think a bit about what's happening to our youth. They're in middle-age before they turn 13, it seems. What happened?

STOP PRESS — We have received the news that Researchers PSG and Unconformity's baby has been born. Congratulations to them both!smiley - bubbly


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

  • It Is Music

  • There's always that one band that's just amazing...


 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A7645232

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more