The First DNA Memorial Lecture

4 Conversations

On 11 March, 2003, the Royal Institution in London will be the venue for a very special event - the first DNA Memorial Lecture to be given by Professor Richard Dawkins in memory of Douglas Adams. Dawkins has taken as his title 'Queerer Than We Can Suppose: The Strangeness of Science'. It reflects Douglas deep love of the quirkiness of science, a recurrent theme that we can all recognise in his books.

The lecture is being held in aid of two of the causes Douglas felt most passionately about; the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund and Save the Rhino International.

Save the Rhino International (SRI) was founded in 1991 by Johnny Roberts and David Sterling. They were appalled at the indiscriminate killing of rhinos that they had seen whilst travelling through Africa and desperately wanted to do something about it. SRI aims are to tackle the problem at its root by working with communities living in rhino areas. Currently they are running projects in Kenya, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Namibia and Sumatra.

Field work is expensive, but SRI has a hardcore attitude to raising funds concentrating on endurance events, often involving their representatives wearing rhino costumes. SRI runners have have negotiated the courses in London, New York Los Angeles, Boston, Paris, Cape Town and Durban. In April 2002, a team took on the ultimate marathon challenge: the seven-day, 220km, Marathon Des Sables, in the Moroccan Sahara Desert and set a record for being the first team EVER to complete the course in a costume!

I am lucky enough to be attending this event and will report back next week.


Abi

06.03.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A988103

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more