Take5

0 Conversations

Every day five or more newly approved entries are recommended on the h2g2 Main Page. These go by unnoticed to most users as they focus around their own page. This weekly article points out and reviews the most entertaining and interesting entries of the week, as far as I'm concerned anyway. My tastes do not reflect yours in any way and feel free to have completely different ideas from mine, it is after all a free country.

Alternative Brews, Amherst, NY, USA. Now this sounds like my kind of place. Well it's a pub innit and this one sounds like a good un. If only I lived in America...

Astronomy for Amateurs. Space is big, I mean really big. You may think it's a long way to the chemists for some aspirin, but thats just peanuts compared to space. Sorry, I'll stop quoting DNA, but if you're interested in whats out there in that vast universe, focus your telescope at this entry for a few pointers.

Handy Household Tips. Looks like everybody in h2g2 had a hand in writing this except me, so I'm putting it in here to bring it to the attention of the one other person on h2g2 who hasn't read this entry. Still, it is full of handy household hints which I will be taking note of...and then passing them onto my Mother (You didn't think I did the housework did you???)

How to Make an Orange Julius. Well summer is coming (Except for today which has done nowt but rain), and it's time to dig out the barbeque. But what do you give the kids while you're all getting sloshed and burning the burgers? Well to save getting into trouble from the missus for giving the kids a can of beer each, try knocking one of these up for them. It might even keep them quiet for five minutes.

Insanity and The Law. Well if you ask me these two go hand in hand, anything to do with the law is insane. Ever wondered what it meant when someone gets away with killing the wife on the grounds of diminished responsibility? Well this will tell you.

Kenny Everett. A great comedian who was probably ahead of his time with the things he tried to do. Maybe if he had been born 15 years later the world would have been a little more accepting of his zany humour and political incorrectness. (This is a featured article in the POST this week. Ed.)

Sea Monkeys. Another pet for lazy students. After goldfish the other week, I give to you something that requires even less looking after. Used to see them a lot in joke shops when I was a kid and never knew what they were. If you're in the same boat then look no further.

The Chemical Origins of the Shroud of Turin. More religion bashing in a round-about kind of way. This entry gives a good scientific desciption of how the shroud was created and the date the scientists say it originates from.

The Crystal Radio. We all think of radios as something in our homes or cars and probably couldn't imagine it as anything other than a black box with dials on it. This, however, is where it all started, and is the simplest form of reciever. This entry tells you how to make one!

The Kea. If ever proof was needed that humans are not the only destructive thing on the planet I think this bird would be a good candidate. Read why you shouldn't park a car near one of these little critters here.


There were also a lot of entries, this week, on various cities around the world which are worthy of mention. All were very extensive and well written but, if I had put them in as well, it would have been more like 'Take 20' or a travel brochure. If you're interested in various places around the world you can find these entries on the 'A month of H2G2' page.


Shorty

29.05.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A343667

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more