German Meet 2008

12 Conversations

A penguin pushing luggage while another penguin looks on

Ah, spring, when a hootooer's fancy turns to thoughts of meets - what else? A few e-mails have been flying back and forth, and we've pretty much settled on a date - Saturday, 9 August. Location is still somewhat open, but will likely be in or around Düsseldorf. (There are a lot of cities packed into a tight space here!)

Getting Here

smiley - bus

Since we're getting organised in time, it should be possible to find cheap flights and trains still. Getting around in the area is easy by bus and train, and relatively cheap on weekends with a shared ticket. Düsseldorf, Dortmund, and Köln/Bonn airports are all reasonably close.

Staying Here

smiley - sleepy

Malabarista would probably be willing to put (up with) anyone who doesn't mind sleeping on spare mattresses or the folding couch in the living room and sharing a single bathroom with everyone, as long as she gets to keep her bed to herself and doesn't have to keep talking about herself in the third person. BYOT smiley - towel Alternately, there is a variety of youth hostels, private bed and breakfasts, or even hotels for the more smiley - 2cents among us.

Things To Do

smiley - boing

At the moment, it looks like we'll be going up the Fernsehturm, visiting Schloss Benrath, and/or taking a boat ride on the Rhine. More suggestions welcome!

Attendees

*steals Bel's list* smiley - thiefsmiley - evilgrin

Pretty Much Definite

Maybe

  • U208464
  • U236774 - sadly not, but we'll keep him on the list out of sentimentality...
  • U94986
  • U219983
  • U3151547
  • If you'd like to come too, whoever is viewing your entry will see their name here, please leave a message after the smiley - bleep

The Lurkmice1

smiley - mousesmiley - lurksmiley - esuom

  • The World-Famous Gruesome Twosome
  • Possibly U10025397, as she'll be on her school holidays - and won't she love being moved to this bit of the list?
  • Mini-Mati2

Meeting at the Meet

It currently looks like most of us will be arriving at Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof (main train station) by noon on Saturday, so that's when we'll be heading out from there.

Arrivals

smiley - towelsmiley - bussmiley - dontpanic

  • Trillian's Child: 10.44
  • B'Elana: 11.15
  • RemarkableFirefly and ReddyFreddy: noonish
  • Matodemi, Tavaron, Sho and Malabarista: whenever, we're relatively close by
  • Hapi - hopefully before noon as well.
  • Pierce the Pirate: 15.xx - he'll have to catch up!
  • King Bomba - several weeks later.

Just so this is handy... If you need a mobile number or something in case of emergency, contact me at: [email protected]3.

1Ask MMF2Thanks, Sho!3Thanks to TB for the e-mail in ASCII code entry! Currently in PR at A2032589

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A35703281

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more