The h2g2 Post 09.03.06

0 Conversations


Posted: 9th March 2006


 

 


The Fail-Safe Topic


When in doubt, an h2g2 commentary can always discuss Douglas Adams. And as I can't think of any of my usual weird subjects this week, DNA seems a perfectly good subject. You see, it's the Great Man's birthday on Saturday, 11 March. He would have been 54.

As I believe I've said before, it's always mildly annoying when people, including h2g2 Researchers, either talk about our Founder as if he were God or create lame imitations of his work. In the first instance, Douglas Adams didn't believe in a god, so to suggest that he was one is sort of a contradiction in terms. (If he were a god he'd also be immortal, and therefore not dead.) In the second instance, whatever the circumstances, using your imagination is always a good thing.

Douglas Adams was a brilliant man and I, like so many others, am devastated by his early death. Having not joined h2g2 until 2004, I keep thinking that maybe, had he lived, I would have been able to come across him on the site or in some other chat opportunity through the site. But in any case, we shouldn't dwell in the past. The future of this site doesn't involve Douglas Adams, and we are moving inexorably towards the future. In the past few days, a group of Researchers have set up shop in forums dedicated to discussing the Peer Review and Flea Market processes. Groups of volunteers and non-volunteers alike have been able to talk about how the system works and ways in which it could be improved. The fact that the Peer Review forum has made the Busiest Conversations list on the Front Page is wonderful to my eyes. A dedicated user base is the way to enlightenment; waiting for the return of the Messiah is going to take a while.


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A7645313

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more